3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 4:46 AM by austinseg

Filemaker Cloud Using More Storage than Expected

austinseg

Anyone else using FM Cloud and showing much more used storage than you'd expect?  I have one database hosted that totals 8.5GB including external container data (when I download it to disk).  Currently, this is taking up nearly 60GB on the cloud EBS storage.  I have deleted all but a few preserved backups and directly deleted all but 10 of the auto-snapshots in AWS.  This action didn't appear to reduce my used storage space at all, which doesn't make sense.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Cloud Using More Storage than Expected
          TSPigeon

austinseg:

Thank you for your post!

It can take some time to make that "freed" storage available. I'm not sure exactly how long, but it something controlled by AWS. If space isn't freed up within a few hours you might contact AWS support for feedback.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Cloud Using More Storage than Expected
            greglane

Are you asking about space used on the data volume as reported by the FileMaker Cloud console or are you asking about the total EBS storage space used/billed in the AWS console?

In addition to the 40 GB (minimum) EBS volume for your data, each FileMaker Cloud instance has two additional EBS volumes. One is a 16 GB volume for the operating system and the other is an 8 GB volume that is used for swap space.

Actually, those are the sizes I've seen on t2.large and m4.xlarge instances. I don't know if any of the larger instance types get larger swap volumes. I don't recall seeing this documented anywhere.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Cloud Using More Storage than Expected
              austinseg

Hi Greg - thanks for your response. I am asking about the storage used as reported in the cloud console by FileMaker.  This is what appears to use more than I can calculate based on the size of my database.

I can concur that my m4.xlarge instance also has a 16GB and 8GB volume as you note below.