4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 1:30 PM by jerrysalem

Mixed Server Deployment

jerrysalem

I have a Two Server Deployment that was working fine with FMS14.

Master --> Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Worker --> Windows Server 2012 Datacenter.

I updated the Worker machine to Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

No updates were applied to Master.

Installed FileMaker Server 15 on both the Worker and Master machines.

During Deployment, I can not see the Worker Machine to attach it to the Master.

As a work around, I can (and did) do a single machine deployment successfully)

I have a ticket in with IT to update the Master to 2012 R2 Datacenter.  Will this help?

• 1. Re: Mixed Server Deployment
          TSPigeon

jerrysalem:

Thank you for your post!

Windows Server 2012 DataCenter is not a tested Operating System. You might see System Requirements for FileMaker Server 15. However, it may work just fine and the OS Upgrade shouldn't be necessary. Mainly, you want to verify the two machines are able to communicate. For Ports used by FileMaker Server, see Ports used by FileMaker Server.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Mixed Server Deployment
            jerrysalem

This is a data center environment, I don't have the luxury of using Windows 2012 R2 Standard.

All the needed ports were checked and are open.  (remember this worked fine under FMS14)

I also tried turning off all firewalls that had no effect.

Do you know if it is possible to connect FMS15 Master/Worker pair with a mix of 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 operating systems? (apparently I can't do it!)

Jerry

• 3. Re: Mixed Server Deployment
              TSPigeon

jerrysalem:

Correct, you should be able to connect a Master/Worker between 2008 R2 and 2012 R2. All I can see from your screenshot is that it is unable to see or connect to the WebServer. I've not ran into this for any reason other than communication issues. I know this was working for you previously, but have you tried to ping 80/443 between the two machines?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Mixed Server Deployment
                jerrysalem

After some more digging, I looked at the Server Manager.

There were some errors there, I then discovered that the OS updater changed the permissions of the Log Folders.  Since the OS couldn't write to the log's all sorts of things couldn't happen

Once we fixed the permissions issue, I was able to connect the Worker to the Master.

Thanks for your suggestions!  This is solved, not FileMakers issue

Jerry

1 of 1 people found this helpful