1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 6:41 AM by taylorsharpe

FileMaker Printing and Windows

sreese

Why does FileMaker have so many problems with printing on Windows? Their WYSIWYG editor and windows don't play well. You rarely get on the printer what you see on the screen. From version to version of FileMaker you have to adjust ever so slightly the objects on the layout so they don't get truncated off. I just don't get why they can't make printing in windows better. They've touted WYSIWYG for years, but its been nothing but problems for years. It works fine on a Mac, but never a PC.

Sorry, my frustration on this has to do with FileMaker and Windows 10 and a 4 inch printer. It only prints half the page unless you go into print setup, select a full size printer, and then print to the 4 inch printer. Yet every other program on windows prints with absolutely zero problems. I'm working up an issue report, but I'm still doing some testing so I can provide them with highly detailed information. Even going so far as to try a different 4 inch printer that I have to find.

So any tips you may have would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
          philmodjunk

Been using windows for years with FileMaker and just haven't seen the issues that you report here. But what you describe, a 4 inch printer, seems a rather unusual printer so maybe it's the particular printer drivers that you've had to work with that have been the source of the headaches.

It only prints half the page unless you go into print setup, select a full size printer, and then print to the 4 inch printer.

That really sounds like issues with the printer driver. Keep in mind that FileMaker has to interact with printer driver software in ways not typical of many other applications and thus, if there's a bug in the driver software, FileMaker may have issues due to that bug that other applications do not.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
            sreese

I would say I agree with you, but it works fine on windows 7 and windows 8. Its the same driver as the windows 8 version.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
              philmodjunk

Yet changing the OS version does not change the FileMaker version.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                schamblee

Not all drivers are compatible across different version of Windows.  Usually when older drivers are installed, Windows will popup a window stating the driver may not work correctly with this version of Windows.   It appears you need a new printer driver for Windows 10.    

• 5. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                  sreese

I disagree completely schamblee as the driver is certified for windows 10. I did check with the manufacturer. It also works 100% correctly across all other programs.

Additionally it isn't just the 4 inch printer that I'm talking about with this frustration. Every new version of FileMaker we have to go through and tweak our forms to print. For everything beyond the 4 inch printer they are printers like HP and Xerox that are more up to date than what you would consider the other printer.

philmodjunk - No, but older versions of FIleMaker don't always work properly on newer versions of the OS. From patch notes and bug reports it seems like this is more true of Mac than PC.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                    ninja

Not all drivers are compatible across different version of Windows. (schamblee)

the driver is certified for windows 10(sreese)

Hashed this out a couple years ago with FMI at one of the DevCon's.

They don't try to keep up with all of the windows drivers...it's just too much.

Sorta makes sense if you step back...an Apple program trying to keep up with the daily changes of MS.

I use a 4" printer as well for labels and have no issue at all.  I set up a custom template size in the printer software and simply follow the same margins and page size when building my FMP layouts...I've not had an issue as long as my layout is set to fixed page margins. (Layout setup>Printing tab>check "Use fixed page margins".  Prints fine from Mac or PC as long as the margins are fixed within FMP.

HTH.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                      schamblee

My statement is correct that all drivers are not compatible with Windows 7 , 8, 10.    

They don't try to keep up with all of the windows drivers...it's just too much.

Sorta makes sense if you step back...an Apple program trying to keep up with the daily changes of MS.

I'm not sure who they is.   No one keeps up with all the drivers.  It is the manufacture responsibility to make sure their driver / device works  with Windows. 

I use a 4" printer as well for labels and have no issue at all.  I set up a custom template size in the printer software and simply follow the same margins and page size when building my FMP layouts...I've not had an issue as long as my layout is set to fixed page margins. (Layout setup>Printing tab>check "Use fixed page margins".  Prints fine from Mac or PC as long as the margins are fixed within FMP.

I'm at a lost.  What is this post about if it prints correctly.  

• 8. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                        sreese

Hey Eric,

Thanks. We use fixed page margins of zero, but I’ll try setting them to .01 or something different and see if that makes a difference.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                          ninja

Good luck.

If your printer allows it, create your own "template" or "page size" or "paper source" or whatever that particular printer calls it.  Once we did that, our angst decreased significantly....matching the print layout to the printer page definition gave excellent results...then I just locked them together in the print script using a Print Setup step.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                            sreese

If I could only be so lucky! It doesn't. Its just a straight receipt printer type setup, but we use it to print electronic citations not receipts.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                              taylorsharpe

You might check out:  PrinterSwitch plug-in

• 12. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                                sreese

I have been looking into plugin-based options as well. I wish this wasn't such a pain in the rear-end!

• 13. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                                  philmodjunk

It also works 100% correctly across all other programs.

No offense, but I seriously doubt that you've tested every available windows program to see if it works with your printer. What you mean, I assume, is that all of your other programs print correctly using windows 10 and this driver but FileMaker 15 does not. This is something that I've seen stated by a number of users over the years, some having issues with Mac printers and others with window printers. It assumes something that you really shouldn't assume here:

You are assuming that all of your programs interact with the printer driver in exactly the same way. A quick inspection of what you see in your print and print set up dialogs from within FileMaker should show you that this is not likely to be the case. Thus FileMaker can easily trip a "bug" that other applications do not. And the fact that a driver is "certified for windows 10" does not guarantee that it works correctly with all applications from a windows 10 OS. The fact that FileMaker 15--which is also certified for Windows 10 as far as I can recall, works correctly with your driver in other versions of windows suggests an OS level problem, (or an issue in how the driver is configured) rather than a problem with FileMaker as the OS version is what changed, not the application.

In an ideal world, every printer driver would work perfectly on every OS with every application, but we don't live in that world and thus Application vs. printer driver problems exist and not just with FileMaker.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Printing and Windows
                                    monkeybreadsoftware

Taylor, did you notice the printer switch feature is now in the MBS Plugin?

For Mac and Win.

1 2 Previous Next