3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 9:47 AM by philipHPG

Accessing a hosted Filemaker file

goutam

A filemaker file has been hosted on a server which has connections via FileMaker and Webdirect connections configured.

When I access the application via Webdirect, it request the username and password to access the file.

But whereas when I access it by entering the host address using Filemaker Advanced Pro from my windows machine, it does not ask for credentials to log in. I am not sure which account it takes to login and access the file.

I clicked on the settings button and also configured the LDAP service (unsure if this works) to login with the account and password that has [Full Access] to the file, but still I have restricted access and unable to view multiple tables, edit layouts, etc.

• 1. Re: Accessing a hosted Filemaker file
          wimdecorte

goutam wrote:

I clicked on the settings button and also configured the LDAP service (unsure if this works) to login with the account and password that has [Full Access] to the file, but still I have restricted access and unable to view multiple tables, edit layouts, etc.

First off: that has nothing to do with authentication.  Those LDAP settings (and its siblings on the FMS admin console) are only for *finding* the FMS in a segmented network.  They play no role in the authentication process whatsowever.

• 2. Re: Accessing a hosted Filemaker file
            wimdecorte

In the FM file, check in the menu File > Options

to see if the file is setup to auto-login.  Chances are that it is.  Toggle that off, it is not secure that way.

Probably the reason that you were prompted for creds in WebDirect even with that setting toggled on is that the priv set that is assocated with the auto-login account did not have the webdirect extended privilege enabled.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Accessing a hosted Filemaker file
              philipHPG

Another option is that the credentials for accessing it through FileMaker Pro have been saved to your Keychain, so you are not being prompted for it.