12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 4:28 PM by bigtom

Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems

michaelrothberg

We are trying to get some barcode based inventory control systems in place.

The problem we are having is that in our warehouse there are always a number of bar codes closely space to one another.  It is very difficult to select and scan the correct bar code because filemaker just grabs the first bar code that it 'sees' once the camera is activated.  Is there a way to script a trigger button that opens the camera but does not input the barcode until the button is pushed from within the camera view?

Something like a hand held bar code scanner works.  The bar code is not scanned until the trigger is pulled. This would have to happen from within the camera view so that I know I am pointed at the correct bar code on the page.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
          philmodjunk

Hmmm, wonder if you can use Insert from Device to insert a picture of the bar code using the camera option and then use insert device again to insert your bar code from the picture in the container field?

If I read the help article correctly, that seems possible though it may but an extra emphasis on the user to get a well focused and zoomed image of the bar code before they take its picture.

• 2. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
            michaelrothberg

If I read the help article correctly, that seems possible though it may but an extra emphasis on the user to get a well focused and zoomed image of the bar code before they take its picture.

That is what the instructions say but it is impossible to focus in on anything if filemaker grabs the first thing it sees.  it happens in an instant.  Makes finding the correct bar code on a page of barcodes a total nightmare.

• 3. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
              jbante

For the long-term, redesign your labels to (1) only use one barcode, or (2) space the barcodes further apart, in that order of preference. In the short term, it may be helpful to cut a visual guard out of cardboard or other heavy paper so you can mask off the other barcodes while you're scanning. Since the iPad is generally a 2-handed device, you may want something like poster putty on the back of the mask to stick it in place before a scan.

• 4. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                schamblee

Another user had made a similar post a couple years ago and I tested using my iPhone box which has like 3 different codes stacked.  It scanned the wrong bar code most of the time.   I had to cover the unwanted bar codes, which defeats the purpose of scanning. Well, if you scanning to save time.

• 5. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                  philmodjunk

I'm afraid that you misunderstood. Use the CAMERA option to capture the image, then use Insert from device again to process the image in the container as a bar code. While capturing the image using the camera option, there's no code processing the image to try to "grab" the barcode. The help document that I read seemed to indicate that this would work, but I haven't tried it for myself.

• 6. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                    PeterDoern

Would it help to limit the kind of barcode you are scanning for? If these are in-house barcodes that you are assigning to inventory items, you could generate them using a less common barcode type.

Funny aside: I was building a barcode scanning inventory module for a client and, prior to demo, was goofing around with this exact feature. Needless to say, the demo did not work at all and it wasn't until afterwards that I realized that I'd disabled the exact barcode type I was trying to scan.

• 7. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                      michaelrothberg

@ philmodjunk

ThanksI do understand what you are getting at.  I'll take a look at that. 

@PeterDoern

All of the codes on a page are the same type so no joy there.

These are all very useable work arounds.  The thing that is beginning to frustrate me is that using the take a picture work around involves using the camera, which waits for a trigger action from the user ie. tap the button on screen.  Which is exactly what I want in the scanner, which is just the camera.

Feels like the scanner functionality for Ipad and Iphone is not something anybody at filemaker spent much time thinking about or using 'in the field'.  LOL

• 8. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                        nicolai

Search for a bluetooth scanner, which is iOS comparable. Cost is around $50, but they are faster and have target laser line.

There are iPhone jackets with built-in barcode scanner, they are usually iPhone model specific.

The scanner usually scans the barcode into a companion app which can pass it to FileMaker Go by url

• 9. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                          michaelrothberg

Yea, that is what we are going to do.  The work flow around the barcodes involves reading the bar code, entering notes and taking photos of the product so the hope was to be able to do everything with a single gizmo.

So much for the dream of a single device.

• 10. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                            schamblee
                            Feels like the scanner functionality for Ipad and Iphone is not something anybody at filemaker spent much time thinking about or using 'in the field'.  LOL

FMGo (2010) is not that old of a program and barcode scanning was adding in FMGo 13 (Dec 2013), so barcode scanning has not been around very long at all.  It been slowing improving.   FileMaker - Wikipedia 

• 11. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                              fmweetbicks

Am having a similar issue, worse even in FM16 because the scanner is now so much quicker.

how about something like this?

Barcode Cloud REST API – Generate Scan Recognize 1D 2D Barcodes

You could take a picture with the camera (small resolution) like another user suggested, then base64 encode it and pass it through to the above API which in turn returns the decoded value.

Obviously requires an internet connection (and pay for the API) but would be a solution if both are viable.

• 12. Re: Bar code scanning w/Ipad problems
                                bigtom

If you have many barcodes tightly packed in a page you need a dedicated handheld scanner that has limited view area. There is no issue with the FMGo barcode insertion, it just does not fit for that use. How could you expect it to pick the right one when you have many in the camera view, Magic?