AnsweredAssumed Answered

Database Structure

Question asked by sam0723 on Dec 21, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 by Johan Hedman

Hello everyone, i am new to filemaker. i am developing a system for student to choose their primary school and secondary school.

My idea is to create a student table to store all the information of student and their sibling, a family table to store the information of their parents.

The relationship is student-->Family

If sibling would like to change to student, they can just switch by clicking the field which is a radio button box from sibling to student. which is same as kindergarten student to primary school student.

Also, there are school selection for parents to choose the target primary school.

The relationship is student-->school selection-->school selection line item table.

school-->school selection line item table

so all the selection data will be stored in the line item table.

i also create another table for secondary school selection so that the data will not mix together. Also, the report will only based on corresponding students(primary and secondary).

Why i separated the student table with school selection line item table because some of the student records are their sibling so user could choose the student who would like to use this system by using student id.

So my question is :  is it a good idea to separate the data of student graduated from kindergarten and primary school into two tables or just use 1 table to store all student data?

Outcomes