8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 6:22 AM by TSGal

OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows

CICT

We have a client who has a prosthetic arm who needs his new FileMaker system to act similar to a spreadsheet using the arrow keys to navigate between fields and records, which will ease his use of the system

In FMForums someone had kindly created the file downloadable at: http://fmforums.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=14231 that has a script that pretty much does as we need, having tested on a Mac in FMP v15.0.2

However, having since tested in Windows using exactly the same file, if the arrow key is held down, after initially working as expected, suddenly '(' characters start being added to the data in a field using the down arrow,  or '&' the up arrow key, '%' left arrow key and ''' the right arrow key.

We've uploaded a 53 second video, the first 20 seconds showing the file running on the Mac without a problem, then Windows inserting these characters at: Mac Windows Problem on Vimeo

Our system has to run on Windows, the source file download link is above and would appreciate anyone with constructive comments.

Thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows
          user19752

I think you already read another threadOnObjectKeystroke issues with arrow keys

I could see the issue on Win7 32bit with FM15v2. "pressing two arrow keys" never be done on the test.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows
            CICT

Thanks for this, I'll refer to my posting there to try to link the 2.

Just to clarify, it isn't pressing 2 arrow keys, it is simply holding down the same key, as you would on a spreadsheet moving down or across the cells.

Works fine on the Mac, but gets peppered with additional characters on Windows.

We wouldn't expect FileMaker to behave differently for the 2 platforms as this is only triggering scripts.

Andy

• 3. Re: OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows
              TSGal

CICT:

Thank you for your posts.

I have responded to your post on the other link.  However, I am unable to replicate the issue using the attached file and holding down the same arrow key.  I only get the unexpected characters when pressing two arrows simultaneously.  I am willing to test your solution here on my Windows machines.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows
                CICT

Thanks TSGal

We've now carried out more testing and have been unable to replicate the problem running FMP15 on a Windows 2008 R2 server (directly, not using RDP), or when hosted on a Windows 2012/FMS 15 server running FMP15 via RemoteApp or Citrix Receiver.

However, we have been able to replicate this running the database locally using FMP15 within Windows 10 within Parallels on a Mac and on a brand new Microsoft Surface Book.

It looks like this could take a bit of tracing.

I'll reply to your private message as well.

Kind regards

Andy

• 5. Re: OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows
                  analistamarcio

Hi Andy!

I didn't replicate the issue in my system (Win7 and FMP 13), but I would like to suggest some options...

1) did you try restrict you script using, at the first line, something like this?

If Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) ≥ 28 and Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) ≤ 31

2) at least use "If $tk = 29", try use "If Exact ( $tk ; 29 )"

I know... it's appear not sense, but bugs are bugs!

Regards,

Marcio Nunes.

• 6. Re: OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows
                    CICT

Hi Marcio

From the reports so far, this appears to be a FMP v15 problem, as it hasn't been replicated in v14 or v13.

Most of this testing has been carried out by one of my colleagues, so I'll pass your suggestions on. Thankfully, this doesn't appear to affecting our Internet streamed copies of FMP, which the majority of our solutions use.

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

Andy

• 7. Re: OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows
                      CICT

One further thing on this, when replicating in Parallels, it can be fairly easily recreated by first double clicking in a field and then using the arrow keys. Although it will still do this when the record isn't open, it appears to happen much quicker when the cursor starts within a field.

Andy

• 8. Re: OnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows
                        TSGal

CICT:

Thanks for the additional information and observations.  I have also received your email.  Thank you.

All information has been sent to Development and Testing for further review.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.