2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2016 9:43 AM by jormond

Shifting a User 'Status' to open up new table options? (App for Higher Ed)

etsao

Hi all,

I'm creating an app for student data in a graduate Master's program.  I would like a way of indicating different user 'statuses' to show different data, such as a simple inquiry, to when they become an applicant, then a student, then an alumni.  Hence a kind of opening of new conditional fields as they progress through each 'status'.

I'm new to Filemaker Pro, and it seems like creating multiple tables might be a bad idea (since they would be one-to-one relationships?), but creating one large table with different layout tabs (for inquiry, application, student, and alumni info) wouldn't be ideal because whatever that person is at that moment (either an inquiry, applicant, student, or alum), I would like that corresponding tab to show (if they are currently a student, I dont want the inquiry tab to always pop up first and have to navigate to their student tab).

An easy search feature, to pull up only students, inquiries, applicants, or alumni, in a listview is essential.

Big thank you in advance and let me know if you need any more clarity!

Emil Tsao

etsao@uvm.edu

• 1. Re: Shifting a User 'Status' to open up new table options? (App for Higher Ed)
          jormond

There are really 2 parts to this:

1. The data layer - and the security that goes with it.
          2. The UI layer - and the user experience you want the user to have.

#1 involves setting up your security so users, whether students or staff, allows or prevents entry into the fields.

#2 involves the scripting and showing/hiding of appropriate fields and buttons and other UI elements.

Using a field in the table with the student data, should be a start. You can set whatever status they are. All of your finds and scripts can act according to that field value.

• 2. Re: Shifting a User 'Status' to open up new table options? (App for Higher Ed)
            philmodjunk

and it seems like creating multiple tables might be a bad idea (since they would be one-to-one relationships?

There is nothing inherently bad about 1 to 1 relationships. They can be quite useful. In this case, it may enable you to better match the access permissions you specify in different privilege sets to your data model as it is easiest to control access to an entire record rather than just certain fields within the record.