8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2017 1:29 AM by ykiykiyki

To go, or not to go to next object...

ykiykiyki

Selecting "tab" for "go to next object" works nice. However when "return" and "enter" are unselected, hitting them still moves to the next field. What to do?

• 1. Re: To go, or not to go to next object...
          ykiykiyki

Just to make sure i'm understood despite my sad english:

In layout mode you get to pick "return", "enter" or "tab" to move to next object. I'm wondering why, when I've picked "tab" to do the job, I still get the same response from hitting "return" or "enter" though they are not checked.

What i'm hoping to get is; when using "tab"- move to next object and when using "return" (or "enter") - just commit and not be in any field at all...

• 2. Re: To go, or not to go to next object...
            wimdecorte

One of two things is happening:

- you didn't really uncheck the return/enter for those fields

- or you a event handled on those fields and the script takes you to the next field

• 3. Re: To go, or not to go to next object...
              David Moyer

Hi,

I'm not sure that you can get that action from the Return key (I'm on Windows) without using OnLayoutKeystroke or OnObjectKeystroke in conjunction with Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) = 13 to exit the current field via a script.  If the "go to next record" setting is correct, and if it's a number field, Return does nothing.  If it's text, it'll add a carriage return.

For keypad-Enter, that should work, given the two conditions mentioned in post #2.

• 4. Re: To go, or not to go to next object...
                richardsrussell

Just to make sure we understand what you mean, you've (a) selected the object in Layout mode, (b) gone to the Inspector and picked the "Data" view, (c) gone to the "Behavior" section, and (d) set the "Go to next object using" options like this, right?

Go to Next Object.jpeg

• 5. Re: To go, or not to go to next object...
                  philmodjunk

Just to rule out other issues that can affect this. You are talking about a field with an edit box format?

Fields formatted with value lists (radio buttons, check boxes, drop down lists, pop up menus) can show some differences when you press those keys.

• 6. Re: To go, or not to go to next object...
                    ykiykiyki

Ok, this seems to be the problem. I'm using a drop down list with tab order going to several other drop down lists! The find is performed after i finally end up in an edit box. Can I prevent going to next field from a drop down and perform find instead (without using tehe mouse to click out of the field)?

• 7. Re: To go, or not to go to next object...
                      philmodjunk

For a drop down list where the user can either pick from the list or type in data, I often use the OnObjectSave trigger on that field to control what happens next. This trigger is only tripped if the user changes the data in the field AND also exits the field so it usually works for covering all the bases.

For "conditional tabbing" from field to field--where the users actions might require different tab orders for different tasks, I've been able to get good results by setting up a script that runs when the OnObjectKeystroke trigger is tripped on certain fields. In the script, I test for any keystroke that would normally exit the field and when one is pressed, the script then puts the focus in the correct field and uses Exit Script [False] to keep the keystroke from being actually processed by FileMaker as this will put the focus where I don't want it. I don't use OnObjectExit for this as I didn't want this change of focus to occur if the user clicked on something outside the field with their mouse.

• 8. Re: To go, or not to go to next object...
                        ykiykiyki

Thanks philmfdjunk!

Lots of great ideas