5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 7:50 AM by wimdecorte

Potential noobee Filemaker vs XOJO

jer99

I'm an Apple Noobie and have been programming on a pc since the 80s. Mostly databases - Dbase, FoxPro, Access (VBA), Oracle PL/SQL.

I just purchased a MacBook Pro and want to create some apps for the iPhone (and potentially Android) market.

Since I'm used to databases, I'm starting with that and hoping to eventually learn SWIFT and perhaps Objective C

So much for that.

I'm thinking of writing my first app that saves quotes for different categories. At the user's request, it copies it to a web area and updates the quotes on the iPhone with whatever someone else wanted to share. In the future, I'm going to be developing an app for the Foreign Exchange arena which will entail a lot of math, functions, API connectivity, etc.

I looked into Filemaker and XOJO.

XOJO seems more like VBA or Basic and has more stringent rules and takes more time to develop with than Filemaker.

Filemaker seems like a very rapid development with a somewhat limited ability to create one's own procedures, etc. It also seems to limit users to using a Filemaker server and paying for access to such.

The Questions:

Is it possible to connect to  MS Access running on a web server (say godaddy) and utilize it in real time?  I'm familiar with MySQL a bit and if MS Access isn't possible is that?  Are the tools/drivers to do that built in? If not, are there a number of third part vendors? Do I *HAVE* to use a Filemaker server?

It appears that FM Developer allows you to develop with a copy of FM Pro - not FM Pro Advanced (that has development tools), however, the developer says it contains "tools" - What kind of tools ....anything that allows a programmer to write their own functions/procedures, set breakpoints, etc?

(Forgive me for this one) - Can anyone comment on the advantages/disadvantages of FM vs XOJO?

Thanks folks....

Jerry

• 1. Re: Potential noobee Filemaker vs XOJO
          BowdenData

Given your background and what you say you want to do, then I feel pretty strongly that Xojo is going to be the better choice.

iOS: Xojo can build native apps. You can also build a web app. FM has the Go product.

Android: Xojo web app right now. Android native apps scheduled for late 2017. FM option is WebDirect (expensive) or Custom Web Publishing.

Xoxo allows you to run a variety of backend databases such as SQLite, MySQL, etc. These will be familiar to you with your background.

I think cost is going to be a big factor in what you want to do. FM Server is almost a requirement for most solutions. Having to run a FM server for a currency app is going to be overkill.

By all means though, play with FM and look at their starters solutions, etc.

HTH.

Doug

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Potential noobee Filemaker vs XOJO
            golife

Have a look at Livecode.com as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Potential noobee Filemaker vs XOJO
              wimdecorte

Since you are familiar with coding on the Windows side of things, have a look at the new Visual Studio for Mac.

With that you can code to all platforms (Windows and Mac desktop, iOS, Android and Windows Phone).

That could prove to be a smaller learning curve than Xojo and a bigger pay-off.

And you can still use FM as the backend if you choose, through ODBC/JDBC or the XML API (there is even a pre-built .NET connector for the XML API: fmDotNet).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Potential noobee Filemaker vs XOJO
                malachydevlin

Wimdecorte, Is VS for mac official or still a preview product?

• 5. Re: Potential noobee Filemaker vs XOJO
                  wimdecorte

Preview; but very stable.

2017-01-30_10-49-42.png

2 of 2 people found this helpful