5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 5:58 AM by wimdecorte

Server - Ext. storage issue

BillR_1

I have a file with containers using external storage that was working fine on FM Server. The IT guys we work with then did something (not quite sure what but they did make a copy of the original database and I'm not sure what process they used) and my stored content no longer shows (items that had been there are blank, and new items can't be added to containers). I've seen where container items are missing before, but I thought that showed some type of icon or error message. And shouldn't you be able to add new, even if you can't see the old items?

Thanks in advance - and  Happy New Year!

Bill

• 1. Re: Server - Ext. storage issue
          wimdecorte

It's important to find out exactly what they did (and why) so that you can give them a procedure to follow if they need to do something similar in the future.

And to be able to piece together where it could be broken.

What errors do you get when you try to add a new item to a container?

• 2. Re: Server - Ext. storage issue
            BillR_1

Thanks for the quick reply. I did ask that they give me permission to deal with the FM Server, rather than them handling it, but still need to find out exactly what steps they did. When I try to add something new, I get the Mac OS "spinning ball" for a while, and then the system comes back, but without having loaded the PDF I'm trying to add. I also have a script to automatically create a PDF after an invoice is generated, and store that in a "filed invoices" table in a container field. The script creates a new record as it should, but doesn't insert anything into the container field.

• 3. Re: Server - Ext. storage issue
              wimdecorte

BillR_1 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I did ask that they give me permission to deal with the FM Server, rather than them handling it, but still need to find out exactly what steps they did.

Keep on them for that; it's crucial to help fix it.

BillR_1 wrote:

When I try to add something new, I get the Mac OS "spinning ball" for a while, and then the system comes back, but without having loaded the PDF I'm trying to add. I also have a script to automatically create a PDF after an invoice is generated, and store that in a "filed invoices" table in a container field. The script creates a new record as it should, but doesn't insert anything into the container field.

What error message do you get or what error does the FM script report in script debugger (in case you have 'set error capture' on).

• 4. Re: Server - Ext. storage issue
                BillR_1

Just to close the loop on this. It appears the IT guy went into the FM server, found the file, and dragged it out to another folder to make a copy, while the server was still running. That led to a hiccup in the server software. We reset the server, uploaded a backup version of the file, and it works fine now. And I have access to the FM server, so won't be leaning on the IT guys for this anymore! Thanks for your help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Server - Ext. storage issue
                  wimdecorte

Thanks for posting back!