11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 5:10 PM by bigtom

FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off

toshi_takayanagi

Hello,

I am a beginner of FileMaker; I just converted the database from Bento to FileMaker by getting help from this community (https://community.filemaker.com/message/628482?et=watches.email.thread#628482) and started using it.

What I would like to do is share the database between the FileMaker Pro 15 on my MacBook Pro and FileMaker Go on my iPhone. Searching internet, I found that I can do so by having my FileMaker Pro 15 on my MacBook host the database and letting FileMaker Go access it. I am successful in doing so. However, the problem of this method is the MacBook has to be always on to host the database, otherwise the database does not show up in the FileMaker Go on my phone. I do not want to keep turning on my MacBook for this purpose which I keep at my home.

What I would like to do is:

• I would like to view the database in FileMaker Go on my iPhone even when my MacBook is off (or it is not accessible).
      • It would be great if I can edit the data and somehow re-sync it with the original FileMaker Pro database on my MacBook when I come back to home and turn on my MacBook. But this is great to have but this is not must to have.
      • I just need to do myself. I am not sharing the database with any other people.
      • In Bento, I could do it by doing WiFi sync which is Bento's build-in function.

Is the a way to do this in FileMaker?

I am also wondering whether FileMaker Pro and Go can co-use the data file (*.fmp12) by placing it on the Dropbox or iCloud drive. I am not sure if FileMaker Go can access the data file on those remote disk, and even if it can, I am not sure if this method works well.

Thank you very much in advance.

Toshi

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
          Markus Schneider

The easiest way to get this is using a FileMaker hosting service - or FileMaker Cloud

For serving a single file, hosting service might be quite cheap - but not free

There is also a way to synk the data between Mac and iOS device - but there is some work to do to achieve a synk.

Having the file hosted, You can develope it, You can use the date wherever You have a 'net'

FileMaker Cloud isn't yet available everywhere, a hosting service might be easier - maybe with FileMaker Server 14 due to the new licence agreements for FMS15

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
            iveduboua

Hi all (this is my first post on the forums)

I am finishing to build my solution on time so i can start using in 2017.

I am a new FM 15 user. and have the same needs Toshi has.

Except that i dont mind leaving my Mac On all day when im out of the office and using FM GO. As long as what i added to my files via de IOS app.

what is the trick?

When i bought my license they told me i could connect via some ports on my router.

i dont want to pay more for some hosting solution that is the reason i am leaving my actual service with Marketcircle.

Besides, the price for a FM pro 15 is not cheap.

Please show me how to "host" on my Mac and connect via iPhone (or my laptop)

thanks in advance

Sorry if my english seems lousy.

Yves D.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
              toshi_takayanagi

Thank you very much Markus for the quick reply. I have checked the FileMaker hosting service, and found that the price is around $15/month for single database file, which is kind of still not too cheap for my personal use...

So, could you tell me or give me a pointer to a link that describes the how to do a sync between Mac and iOS device? For a beginner like me, that might be beyond my current knowledge and capability, but I would like to gauge how difficult/complicated it is.

Thank you very much!

Toshi

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
                Markus Schneider

There is a good documention:

http://www.filemaker.com/de/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_sync_en.pdf

There are 3rd party syncing apps, some of them are somewhat expensive, so e are even open source / free

-> all cost some effort... Not the first job for a beginner...

check this site (among others):

FMEasySync: A FileMaker Sync Framework (needs FM Server)

http://www.seedcode.com/filemaker-sync-gozync/  (Works FM client2client)

Alternatively, You can copy the file from device to device. As long as the files are not too big, You can have a script that mails a copy of the file from device to device, not very elegant, but might work under some circumstances

I don't recommend DropBox (or similar services), it will work - but there is a danger of using older files, etc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
                  toshi_takayanagi

Thank you very much Markus for the references. Certainly doing my own seems far more than I can handle as of today. I will check 3rd party solutions later today. Again, thank you very much for the quick and helpful response!

Toshi

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
                    toshi_takayanagi

I looked at the three type of solutions Markus listed:

• (1) FileMaker Pro/Server hosting the database - Use FileMaker hosting service, use FileMaker Cloud or host by yourself
                    • (2) Sync the database between the devices - Using app or script
                    • (3) Copy the files between the devices - Using email, iTunes sharing or remote disk such as Dropbox or iCloud drive

and I am inclined to use (3). Although it is not an elegant way, but this seems to work ok for me, as my update will be infrequent. Since my *.fmp12 file is 125MB, I did not try email, but I tried iTunes, Dropbox and iCloud, and they all seem to work in the same way: FileMaker Go import (=copy) the file to the local device. When I edit the file on my iPhone, I basically export the copy and overwrite the original file on my Mac. Among them, I perhaps use iCloud drive.

The elegant ways (1) and (2) seems to come with cost or complexity. If I need to use FileMaker for my work, I would choose (1), but for my casual and personal use, (3) seems fine.

Thank you very much again Markus for your suggestions!

Toshi

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
                      bigtom

Option 3 can be dangerous, but some people manage to make it work.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to spend on a hosted solution?

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
                        toshi_takayanagi

I would $5/month for single-user/single-file, as my case is purely personal use. What I have is book review, wine list, investment record, car maintenance etc., and the updates are infrequent.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
                          philmodjunk

For my Personal use FM GO stuff, I keep it all just on my Phone after creating it on my laptop and testing it during a temporary sessions where I host it from FileMaker Go over local WiFi as a way to view/test the screens on the phone while able to make immediate adjustments to the design on the lap top.

I then copy the file to my phone and do all data entry on the phone with regular iPhone backups via iTunes.

I only copy the file back to the laptop when I decide that it's time to make some updates to its design. I then have to be very careful to keep track of which copy of the file is which, but just for design update purposes, it's manageable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
                            rouelf

What I do manually for having the same data everywhere. Once fmp12 file is build on desktop:

1) On desktop via scripts run from a button, create a copy with all containers embedded with the word iOS inserted as part of the file name in the copy. This is the file I transfer as the primary file for FM Go.

2) Also via scripts run from a second button, create a copy with all containers embedded with the word Update inserted as part of the file name in this copy. Then when I make data changes to the FM Go (iOS) version, or the desktop version, I create the Update file.

3) Then transfer the Update file to the FM Go or Desktop as appropriate. Then again, via a scripts run from a third button, Update Data, that first creates a copy of the current primary file with the word Old1 inserted in the file name, then proceeds to replace in the primary file all the data in all the tables using the data from the Update file. This way you can recover if needed with the Old1 file.

4) I also have a fourth button that gives a choice to update data using the file with Old1 or Update file data. Every time an Update file is created via the script, it replaces the existing file if there; same thing, the Old1 file is replaced when a new one is generated by the script if it is there. The Update file and the Old1 file are always saved to the same location as the primary files.

Sounds complicated but I find it really easy. It does require the discipline, that when ever a change is made in one device to make sure an Update file is created, then transfered and used to update data everywhere.

To transfer the files I use AirDrop, and if necessary I also use Google Drive or iCloud or DropBox.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro and Go data sharing/viewing even when the host Mac is off
                              bigtom

The other thing you could do is a script that moves any changes between the files based on last edit time stamps.