9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 7:01 AM by rgordon

How to protect a file sent via email

thehalpeen

I'm trying to prevent potential users to whom I send demo files via email from passing  the file around. I have tried to use Get(persistent ID) in a start-up script but this does not do the trick – see extract from opening script below.

persistnet Id.PNG

For the above to work, I need to know the Menu::DeviceID in advance, otherwise the emailed file can be opened by anyone. I want the file linked to a particular device – is that possible or is it possible to get a persistent device ID from the users iPhone in advance?

• 1. Re: How to protect a file sent via email
          alquimby

Have you considered making the demo files only workable for x number of days, say 5?

To do this, make sure you are the only one with Full Access privileges.

Create a global email date field that is hidden for all users without the full access privilege, then enter a date.

In your opening script (do not grant full access privileges) have an If statement similar to: If Get (CurrentDate) is greater than email date + 5 , close file.

• 2. Re: How to protect a file sent via email
            rgordon

Have your start up script create an email that includes the get(uuid) or a portion of the uuid.  Create a calculation in the the file like left(Get(getcontainerattribute(get(uuid); "MD5");6).  This will create a six digit ID for that computer.  Create a file with the same calc (substitute a global field for the get(uuid)).  Plug in the uuid and generate the matching six digit code and email it to the user.  Only allow the user to continue if the two codes match.

• 3. Re: How to protect a file sent via email
              thehalpeen

Allen,

I have considered that option and/or limiting the number of records a user can create - and this will work in certain situations. However, in some cases the demo file is free for a particular user, but I don't want it distributed to others, and in that scenario the solution that limits the days or number of records created, doesn't work - I think!

• 4. Re: How to protect a file sent via email
                thehalpeen

Rgordon, Thanks for your advice/suggestion.

I can’t quite get my head around your suggestion. I have a file and I’ve created two fields – see below. This is the file I will sent to a customer?

two UUID Fields.PNG

I’ve created similar fields in another file – see below.

two UUID Fields 2nd file.PNG

My understanding, is I have to send - separately - the MD 5 code, to the customer  – otherwise he cannot open the file. To do this, I get the UUID from the customer and plug it into to the Global field in order to generate the MD5 code. Am I correct?

My problem is I don’t understand the process the happens prior to the above happening.

You advise me to create a start-up script that creates an e-mail that includes the get(uuid). Apologies, but I am lost here. Is this an email that is sent to the client and how do I generate the UUID – is it from a single Menu record – presuming I have a Menu table.

• 5. Re: How to protect a file sent via email
                  rgordon

Sorry for the confusion. You want to use Get(persistentid) not get(uuid) on the if. I was distracted by watching too much football. The get(persistentid) is a constant based on the FileMaker installation. The Get(uuid) will change every time you call it.

Roy Gordon

PSFE

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: How to protect a file sent via email
                    thehalpeen

rgordon,

Thanks,

I heard the Liverpool match was good and in the other, MANU got some lucky breaks - so to take the trouble to reply to my question while watching is appreciated.

Anyway - using the Get(persistent ID) now makes sense in your method. Let me see can I get it working.

• 8. Re: How to protect a file sent via email
                      thehalpeen

Thanks again. That's very good.

Can I assume that the code that is sent back in the email is the 'persistent_id' code and not the 'registration_id' as in your script - see below:

rgordon script.PNG

• 9. Re: How to protect a file sent via email
                        rgordon

The file uses the persistent id.

Roy Gordon

PSFE

Sent from my iPhone