10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 1:23 PM by TSGal

Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2

mdenyse

Hi all,

I've built an iOS app which has a layout with a field using the concealed edit box attribute. When running the app on the iOS device it 'eats' the first character you type. However, visually what happens is the first character you type shows up as a bullet, but when you type the second character no bullet shows. The third, fourth, etc. each get a bullet character. The field contents actually have the first character 'eaten'. If you backspace to clear the field and then start over, it works fine. This bug does *not* occur if I run it in FM Pro or within the iOS Simulator - *only* on the iPhone or iPad. Additionally, there are no field or layout script triggers that could be eating the character.

Apologies if this has already been posted (couldn't find any reference though) -- has anyone else seen this and/or have any sort of work around?

Mark

• 1. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
          mikebeargie

philmodjunk - Have you heard of this one? I haven't seen it but wanted to check with you before recommending a bug report.

• 2. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
            philmodjunk

No I haven't, but then I haven't done anything with the SDK either.

These should be posted to Report an Issue where the TS folks can look into it.

• 3. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
              sivagurS

Yes, this issue is real.

I have a Login layout with a concealed Editbox for the password field.

When the user enters password for the first time, the first character shows up as a bullet, but when you type the second character no bullet shows. The third, fourth, etc. each get a bullet character. The field contents actually have the first character missing. But when we delete it the first time and re enter the password a second time, it works fine (no missing first character).

I wrote a script to clear the Password Field onObjectEnter trigger. but that doesn't help either.

This only happens in iOS

Any other workaround that you could recommend

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
                TSGal

mdenyse and sivagurS:

Thank you for your posts.

I have submitted your information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
                  TSGal

mdenyse and sivagurS:

Testing and Development would like to see a copy of your database file so they can determine why this is failing in iOS App SDK.  I have sent each of a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
                    TSGal

mdenyse and sivagurS:

Testing has been unable to reproduce the issue with the attached file.  They are still waiting for your sample files to test.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
                      sivagurS

Sorry for the very delayed response.

I cannot send my file as its running from a hosted file and for organisation security reasons.

We are using the FM files in iPhone (version 10.1.1 ; 10.2.1) and iPad (version 10.3)

Filemaker Pro Advanced Version 15.0.3.305

When the user enters password for the first time, the first character shows up as a bullet, but when you type the second character, the first character gets deleted.

For example: I enter Today, the actual text in the field will be oday.

But when we delete it the first time and re enter the password a second time, it works fine.The field holds the value Today.

Also in my Concealed edit text field, I have a script trigger assigned to it, to capture Enter or Return key and perform scripts, not sure if that's what causing the issue.

Also this issue is extremely random. It doesn't happen all the time, and from what I see doesn't happen in iPads either. Only iPhones show the issue.

Hope that was helpful. I would really appreciate it if this issue is fixed.

Else I would have to do the concealing the Password text by myself, which isn't a very pretty solution

Thanks

• 8. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
                        mdenyse

Hi,

To update things: it still happens in 16. From what I've been able to determine, it's the inclusion of a Timer script that seems to be the culprit. My previous comment concerning a keystroke trigger holds true; it doesn't matter if there is one or not, just the timer script. I've attached a sample file that illustrates the issue.

Again, this only shows up on actual iOS devices (iPhone and iPads), *not* in the iOS simulator or FM Pro/Advanced. I haven't tested this running inside FileMaker Go; only as a standalone app built with the SDK and XCode.

The addition of the timer script, even if it does nothing, appears to be the issue. I'm randomly guessing here, but when the timer script runs it causes the focus to be temporarily lost in the edit field. You can see something similar in the FM app when typing in the script editor (a comment, for example); when my solutions' timer script runs, I lose focus in the place I'm typing. Might be similar, totally different, don't know. I'll leave that to the forensic experts to determine.

Anyway, try the attached app on your iOS device and see what happens. There are some on-screen hints for reproducing the bug.

My workaround is to disable the timer on my login screen since it isn't needed there, but it still would be nice to get to the bottom of this issue.

Mark

• 9. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
                          TSGal

mdenyse:

Thank you for the file.  I have sent the file to our Testing department for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Concealed Edit Box Eating Character(s) with iOS SDK 15.0.2
                            TSGal

mdenyse:

Our Testing team has been unable to reproduce the issue.  Do you have any other steps that might reproduce the issue?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.