5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 10:05 AM by HinOey

TextStyleAdd Not Working in My Email Report

sansae

Hello friendly people,

I am generating a report via the Send Mail script step.

I want to bold my text but TextStyleAdd isn't working as expected.

In the "Specify Calculation" window, this is what I have:

TextStyleAdd ( "Text: " ; Bold ) & some_random_field & " through " & some_random_field

The email report is fine. All I want is to bold "Text: ".

I following text style add function found here: FileMaker Pro 15 Help

And I read through this post I cannot bold the text below in the TextStyleAdd. I done an RTFM several times and no light bulbs... , which is similar, but I'm not using a dialog box.

I thought the concatenated random fields was the problem, but turns out they weren't. I still got the same plain, un-bolded text.

Can anyone help me with this one?

Message was edited by: San Sae added more info which might be helpful to others (just a link)

• 1. Re: TextStyleAdd Not Working in My Email Report
          philmodjunk

Email sent out via the Send Mail script step is plain text only. Textstyles will not make a visible difference to the message content.

You'd need to use an email plug in if you want to format text in the body of your email.

What you can do is use other methods for emphasis such as using the Upper function to make the text all caps.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: TextStyleAdd Not Working in My Email Report
            sansae

Thank you for the reponse, Phil.

I suppose creating a custom function won't work.

Oh well, the bolded text isn't a big deal. I'll just add asterisks or something.

"***my text***"

• 3. Re: TextStyleAdd Not Working in My Email Report
              HinOey

not related to email; but I have a 'strange behavious with TextStyleAdd.

I have to place an extra character (may be it can be a non-printable one) to have a filed-calculation to behave properly. If not the style is used for the hole statement and not only for the first parameter:

(te example could probably be more sample; is to make a bibliography; may be even a merge field could work)

"xxx"& TextStyleAdd (author; Vet) & " (" & year & "). " & If (publisher  ≠ ""; TextStyleAdd (title; Cursief) & ". " & publisher & "."; If (in_title ≠ ""; title & ". In: " & TextStyleAdd (in_title; Cursief) & ", " & B_in_volume; " <== nog aanpassen" ))

• 4. Re: TextStyleAdd Not Working in My Email Report
                philmodjunk

Putting a post about a different problem in a discussion that has been marked as "answered" is making a post that will not be seen by as many people as you might need. It would be better to make a new post as a "question" type discussion so that more people can see it.

What you have posted here does not make much sense when I read it--probably a difference of language as your calculation does not appear to be in English. Is your "extra character" the "xxx" text at the beginning of this text?

I suggest starting a new question discussion for this and when you do, describe what you get when you leave out that "extra character" and what you get when you do not.

• 5. Re: TextStyleAdd Not Working in My Email Report
                  HinOey

Sorry didn't saw it was closed already.

Try to minimize the the 'clutter' of asking already asked subject, found my addon question not unfitting.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Hin Oey

Op 11 jan. 2017 om 18:25 heeft philmodjunk <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

FileMaker Community

TextStyleAdd Not Working in My Email Report

reactie van philmodjunk in Discussions - Bekijk de volledige discussie

Putting a post about a different problem in a discussion that has been marked as "answered" is making a post that will not be seen by as many people as you might need. It would be better to make a new post as a "question" type discussion so that more people can see it.

What you have posted here does not make much sense when I read it--probably a difference of language as your calculation does not appear to be in English. Is your "extra character" the "xxx" text at the beginning of this text?

I suggest starting a new question discussion for this and when you do, describe what you get when you leave out that "extra character" and what you get when you do not.

Reageer op dit bericht, door te reageren op deze e-mail, of ga naar het bericht op FileMaker Community

Start een nieuwe discussie in Discussions via e-mail of op FileMaker Community

Het volgen van TextStyleAdd Not Working in My Email Report in deze informatielijnen: Inbox

Deze e-mail is verzonden door FileMaker Community omdat u een geregistreerd gebruiker bent.

U kunt zich direct afmelden voor FileMaker Community of de e-mailfrequentie aanpassen in uw e-mailvoorkeuren