1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 6:23 AM by mikebeargie

Password - user issue

BillR_1

Is there a way to offer a "forgot password" option somehow, so if a user forgets their password, they don't need to email me to reset it for them? It's something you see on websites that is automated, rather than handled by an admin.

• 1. Re: Password - user issue
          mikebeargie

You can script it. Look at the script steps under the "Accounts" section:

FileMaker Pro 15 Help

However, it's dangerous to just have this as someone with a guessed username would be able to gain access.

Therefore, I use a table-based user management system that stores a PIN number and email address, or other points of identifying information. In my password reset scripts I require these things to be authenticated before a temporary password is generated and reset on the account. Then the user is required to select a new password when logging in.

A good place to start is Darren Burgess's Accounts Module:

http://www.modularfilemaker.org/module/accounts-modular-user-account-management/

That will get you the table-based user management system setup, as well as an admin layout so you can manage users in filemaker rather than through File > Manage > Security.

From there you're on your own for adding a password reset script, but it's not too difficult to do.

1 of 1 people found this helpful