taylorsharpe

Field Options:  Auto Enter Timestamp

Discussion created by taylorsharpe on Jan 4, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 by taylorsharpe

I have a database that I started noticing the auto enter timestamps were not working.  I actually saw a timestamp entered that was in the future by an hour.  I scratched my head and thought about it for a minute and then realized this database was being used internationally and the auto enter timestamp feature auto enters the time of the local computer and not the hosting server.  Interesting, but makes sense.  However, not all the useful for audits since we weren't recording what time zone the different users were in and therefore couldn't really compare time entries. 

It sure would be nice if in addition to the auto enter timestamp of the local computer, there were additional options to get the hosting machine's timestamp or maybe the UTC time. 

As our databases become more cloud-centric, we can't assume so much that people are in the same time zone as the server. 

You can go to the calculation section and auto-enter the Get ( CurrentHostTimestamp ) or Get ( CurrentTimeUTCMilliseconds ).  But that isn't in the auto enter timestamp section.  It would be nice option to add up top, especially for the Modification timestamp.

Outcomes