I have several of these FileMaker Order Confirmations in my email this morning having to do with license changes. You get the email titled "FileMaker Order Confirmation". It has a "Download Page" link that you click on and go to a web browser and it that shows most of the info such as the contract number, etc. You arrive at an "Electronic Software Download Page" and there is a section called "Licensed User Information." But it doesn't show the license info, only the contract number and date. It does have a link for "Show licensee information". So I click on it and put my email in and presto.... nothing. It rejects my email over and over. FINALLY, I figure out this wonderful system will not take the email of "Taylor@TaylorMadeServices.com" (which is how I normally do it), but it will take "email@example.com". Email servers don't know or care about capitalization, but apparently FileMaker's Order Confirmation database does and I didn't remember how FileMaker had entered my email.
A suggestion to FileMaker would be to not have their licensee email information for FileMaker Order Confirmations be case sensitive. That can be real annoying and I had to try a number of different emails before I figured out capitalization was the issue.
Just a little suggestion to make life easier on those of us buying licenses.