9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 2:35 PM by oldroadeast

Container holding doc, pdf, excel

oldroadeast

This is a very new user. can anyone point me in the right direction for setting up a container so the users can drop and drag doc and pdf files in each record please?

thank you 

• 1. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
          philmodjunk

Can you describe where this fails for you?

What you describe is simply a matter of

a) defining a container field in your layout's table

b) adding the container field to the layout

That's it.

But there are a lot of options--both storage options and layout format options that control container field behavior so you might want to describe the problem that you are having in more details.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
            taylorsharpe

They should be able to use the same container field from a table that other users can assuming the new user has the same privilege set in the Security.  Can you confirm their security privilege set is the same? 

Is this container field a global storage field possibly?  I assume they are using the same layout to import documents that the other users are using. 

• 3. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
              oldroadeast

I am impressed and thank you both for replying.

I setup a container then added a field to the container. the field was set to calculation. If I drag and drop a pdf into the container I just get the pdf icon and file name and that's it. it's not clickable. I also forgot to set it to global but that didn't make a difference. should I set file type somewhere? 

• 4. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
                philmodjunk

What do you want to happen when you click the field?

I setup a container then added a field to the container. the field was set to calculation.

Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. You can't add a field to a container. If the container field were a calculation, you would not be able to drag and drop a file into it.

• 5. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
                  oldroadeast

I sat through a webinar earlier today and I was playing around trying to set up a simple app. It implied that is what I needed to do. All I was trying to achieve is storage of word; excel and pdf files by dropping files into different records.

Webinar: How to Create an App with the FileMaker Platform - YouTube   

• 6. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
                    oldroadeast

just realised where I went wrong.... forgot data formatting. so easy when you know how. Thanks for everything.

• 7. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
                      oldroadeast

may I ask for some more help please?

I am trying to find a way to drag and drop files (word, excel, pdf) to a records and list hyperlinks to those files.

filenames.JPG

I googled everywhere for a solution. appreciate any snippet example to start me off. thank you

• 8. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
                        philmodjunk

Can't be done from a straight up simple container field with internal storage specified.

Here's why:

Drag and drop inserts a physical copy of the file into the container field. Thus there is no "path" to that file. It's located inside the container field itself.

The exception to this is that you can drag and drop into a field with external storage, the file is copied out to the specified storage location and the field is updated with a link to that location. If the storage is not specified as secure, you can then extract the file path to the file's external storage location from the container field.

But if you want to leave a file at its current location, insert it and then use a path to the file that can be used to open it, consider using the Insert File script step and specify the option to insert a reference to the file. If this file does NOT have external storage specified, you can open said file by double clicking the container field. (As long as the container field has not been optimized for interactive content.)

But you can open any inserted (or dropped) file from a container field using export field contents. And this can be an export to the computer's temporary folder in order to keep these exported copies from creating "file clutter".

So you have a few options here, but I can't tell from here if any of those are quite what you need or not...

• 9. Re: Container holding doc, pdf, excel
                          oldroadeast

Thank you philmodjunk for making this clear. I understand (I think) and will now have a go and choose scripts to insert to a table. thank you for responding.