1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2017 9:15 AM by thehalpeen

Validating users that don't log-in

thehalpeen

I have created a simple clock-in, clock-out system.

The employees clobk-in and Out via an iPad and the Manager can view what is happening on her PC.

The following happens on the iPad:

• There is a screen that displays all the employees.
      • They click on their image and it brings them to the clock-in page.
      • They click either the Clock-in or clock-out button and this creates a new record in the timesheet table for an employee.
      • There is no logging in or any verification, but I think need this to prevent ‘Buddy punching’ or fellow workers logging in on their behalf.

So as far as I am aware, my options for validating and preventing ‘Buddy Punching’ are:

• PIN NUMBER: Give each user a unique Pin number – but this would not prevent Buddy punching.
      • PHOTO: Have then take a photo taken before/after they clock-in or clock-out – the manager could see the photo on their screen. I believe that Filemaker cannot automate the taking of the photo - you have to use the camera and then save it into a container field. The drawback here is that the manager has to randomly look at the images everyday or week – so could be time-consuming. Or is their a scanner that sans images and compares them to originals - is this too far-fetched?
      • SIGNATURE: same limitations as photo.
      • BIOMETRIC READER: I have read about Productive Computing’ s Biometric Fingerprint Reader, but this doesn’t work on an iPad. Has anybody ever used this on a PC and is if ‘yes’, is it reliable?

Does anyone know of any other way to authenticate or validate an employee in order to prevent ‘Buddy Punching’

• 1. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
          philmodjunk

I suggest researching the Insert From Device script step as a way that could be used to automate either a signature capture or the taking of a photo. To take a photo, you can specify either front or back camera and the size of the photo to be taken. The use just has to tap a control to accept the photo and continue.

Whether that suffices for eliminating "buddy punching" depends on the number of employees and their "culture/morale". (If morale is crummy, people will more often break rules and put out minimum efforts.

If the number is small and management is comfortable with random picture "spot checks". the pictures would probably work here.

• 2. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
            thehalpeen

Phil,

I have setup the 'insert from device' option, but I haven't activated it yet and it's a good option - the fact that a photo is taken definitely lessens the chances of 'Buddy Punching'.

just wondering if the community had come across any other methods of validating?

• 3. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
              philmodjunk

I was primarily responding to the statement:

I believe that Filemaker cannot automate the taking of the photo

Given the way this forum works, I'm sure any others that have suggestions will "pile on" with theirs. That mention of a fingerprint scanner plus plug in from productive computing caught my eye. It looks like a reasonable option if you decide to use a PC for logging in employees instead of an iPad. If you do decide on a fingerprint scanning approach, you'll need at least one alternate method of logging in--just in case an employee injures a finger that needs to be scanned or your scanner is accidentally damaged.

I took a closer look at the productive computing offering because I'm working with a finger print scanner for a project--but mine does not need biometrics, we just need to insert a digital image of the print into a container field to better meet a legal requirement imposed by the state of California on businesses of this type. I've got that working, but with more user interaction than I'd prefer.

• 4. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                karina

Is using a barcode on a card or a keychain an option?

You can use the barcode as a pin number, and connect a blue tooth barcode scanner to the iPad.

You can hide the number from the barcode, so they can't Buddy punch without having the card or keychain.

In my opinion making a photo and storing it in a database is an unnecessary violation of privacy, same for the finger print.

Greetz,

Karina

• 5. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                  thehalpeen

Good point about injuring the finger - that would be some  fun trying to clock-in. Definitely would need an alternative option.

• 6. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                    thehalpeen

Karina,

These are good options, but I've never implemented either of these in a solution. Can you recommend a blue-tooth barcode scanner. Does it take much setting -up. Do you print cards or labels with barcodes for cards. How do you set-up the barcodes for each employee?

With the Keychain are you referring to TouchID - I think I'm limited to 5 people/fingers.

• 7. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                      bigtom

I have used Large chunky QR codes on a badge for clock in validation. These can be read directly an iPad and do not require image confirmation. When the QR Codes are big enough and not complicated the scans are quick with FMGo but it is picky about it being at 90 deg to the camera (they really need to improve this). Jumping out to CNS Barcode scans better at angles but  this is not as smooth as it should be And they haven't updated the app properly for iOS 10 so there is sometimes a warning.

You could control this if you use the front camera and a slot for the badge/card. Using a level M or Q error correction is good in this case. no image is stored.

You can set the solution to sit waiting for a scan and when an entry is made it cyles through a screen to show user a confirmation layout and then goes back to waiting on a scan.

Downside is a photo or copy of the card could be used.

Bluetooth readers are great but pretty expensive for what they are. However, they are fast and accurate And have a setter user experience. Not often worth the cost in my opinion but some clients feel it is worth it.

I tried PINs and had some buddy punching. With QR badges it was too much effort to easily buddy punch and this stopped.

One day when I have time I want to try the Google MobileVision API for face recognitin on images And see how that might work.

Retina scanner??

• 8. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                        bigtom

The Touch ID thing is a non option. Forget about it.

• 9. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                          thehalpeen

1. Jumping out to CNS Barcode scans better at angles but this is not as smooth as it should be And they haven't updated the app properly for iOS 10 so there is sometimes a warning.

2. With QR badges it was too much effort to easily buddy punch and this stopped.

BigTom, 

I've extracted some text from your reply.

1. What do you mean here - Sometimes a warning?

2. Why is it too much effort to Buddy punch - I thought it would be no effort?

• 10. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                            karina

I ment a keychain, like a plastic keychain where you can put a label in with a barcode.

The cheep ones

We use a symbol LS3578 BT scanner.

For the plastic, also print the labels and put them on a plastic card.

If they lose the card, you can easily print a new label.

An UUID is an option for the barcode, or Employeenumber * birthdate, you can be as creative as you want if you use a Code 128 barcode.

We use a free plugin from IDautomation to print the barcode from filemaker, but you can also print a barcode from Word if you have the barcode font.

The scanner acts like a keyboard and a scan returns the number.

• 11. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                              techt

There are a number of free fonts out there that generate bar codes and they work very well from my experience. Just have the iPad camera read the barcode, no plug-in or additional devices needed.

• 12. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                                bigtom

I opened CNS Barcode recently and got a warning that the app was not updated and might use excessive resources on the current iOS version. This may have been a one time warning As I just opened it again and no warning.

Passing along a 4 digit pin is too easy to do. Making a copy of a barcode card is a bit more involved And easy for other employees to see the buddy punch (social police). Restricting the access to the scan with a card slot means a phone with the image cannot be used. May not be as effective in all cases but it made a the difference in mine.

I like QR codes because they can have error correction. If you end up with a separate Barcode scanner any code will work. Code 128 is slow to scan directly in Go compared to QR.

Do nor use personal information in the barcode as they are still readable by most phones. I use special 4 digit hex ids for time clock only.

A fingerprint scanner can have issues in some workplaces for various reasons. iPads have similar issues if they need to be touched by everyone. If you switch to any sort of scanner you might be better off using a Mac Mini or small PC with a small HDMI screen. Also gives  a way to switch to a manual check in if a scanner is broken.

Don't forget mag stripe and RFID are also valid options. RFID is what I opt for if barcodes are not enough. Maybe a conbo of rfid in a card with a printed Barcode?  Need a card printer and an rfid programmer.

Giving everyone an iBeacon is an interesting idea, but not sure how good that would be in practice and expensive as well.

• 13. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                                  thehalpeen

Ah, a plastic keychain. Language can make you look foolish.

Ok, I'm off to see can I generate a bar code using IDAutomation plugin. Having said that, techt in his post seemed to suggest, that plug-ins were not need - I'm a bit confused. I need to research this!

• 14. Re: Validating users that don't log-in
                                    thehalpeen

BigTom,

Your knowlege is impressive.

This may sound like a daft' question, but how do you make and then print QR codes. This is an area where I have no experience.

1 2 Previous Next