1 2 3 Previous Next 100 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 11:58 AM by eric_evers

Devcon 2017

sreese

Good Afternoon,

Who is planning on going to Dev Con 2017? About DevCon 2017

Have you noticed this little change to their schedule?

DevCon_At_A_Glance.png.001.png

It is only 2 days of actual sessions. They took the third day that would normally be for everyone and just made it for FBA members. They claim at the end they added a complimentary day, but it looks to me like they just jip everyone else out of it.

"Special FBA Day

Because our FileMaker Business Alliance partners have asked for more time together, we've added a complimentary day following the conference (requires DevCon registration). We invite all FileMaker Business Alliance partners to join us for networking, collaboration, and to share best practices. If you're not already a member, this is a great reason to join!"

Devcon 2016 - Started out with a day of training - then had 3 days of sessions for everyone. FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 | July 18-21, 2016 - Las Vegas, NV

Devcon 2015 - Started out with a day of training - then had 3 days of sessions for everyone. Event Schedule | FileMaker Developer Conference 2015

Devcon 2014 - Started out with a day of training - then had 3 days of sessions for everyone. http://www.filemaker.com/developers/devcon/2014/schedule.pdf 

I could keep going back, but I don't think I need to.

If they reduce the price of tickets it is one thing, otherwise, we are just subsidizing FBA to have a whole day to themselves.

• 1. Re: Devcon 2017
          jbante

That same page specifically mentions that they are lowering the price.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 11.11.25.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Devcon 2017
            philmodjunk
            That same page specifically mentions that they are lowering the price.

That still makes this a "DEVCON lite" conference for me. I'd rather have a higher price and the 3 days. Of course this is easy for me to say as my employer foots the bill and this makes for a kind of "extra vacation" for me and my wife that is now a day shorter than before.

• 3. Re: Devcon 2017
              sreese

The wording on that is poor, plus I guess the first thing I looked at was the schedule, and then read below it. Maybe a bold header like the FBA day one to draw more attention to it.

• 4. Re: Devcon 2017
                bigtom

I agree that 3 days with a bigger price tag is better. Add a fourth day for FBA at an extra cost to the FBA? I would pay for an extra day. Making it short is a less desirable option. International attendance may drop.

Saying that the lower price makes it more accessible is a bit silly in my opinion. It's not lower for the same experience. It is just less of an experience.  I have said it before and I will keep saying it. If you are a professional FM developer and you are not making enough money to comfortably afford going to devcon, you might want to evaluate the reason for that.

To to be clear, I am not happy about it, but I will likely still go this year to see how it plays out. If I don't like it I might not attend in 2018.

Your current options.... join the FBA?

Hopefully FMI will find something useful to fill the day for non FBA members.

• 5. Re: Devcon 2017
                  monkeybreadsoftware

Well, it all depends on the pricing.

I remember people who paid over $2000 in Las Vegas for a ticket on site.

Others paid $1400 in early bird.

If they get price down a lot, maybe it will be even more accessible to a lot of people.

With one day less, we expect it to be 1/3 cheaper. So if it gets down to regular $999 and early bird maybe $799, that is welcome.

• 6. Re: Devcon 2017
                    jormond

I see a lot of benefit to the lower price. That can really only benefit the platform. I think it is still kind of high, depending on the demographic of developer you are trying to attract. But it's a step in the right direction.

The main issue for me, and for those traveling from outside the US...is travel cost is the same whether it's 2 days or 3 days. In overall cost, it becomes a smaller effective discount. Which makes selling the company owner on sending more than one of us...difficult. From a session standpoint, it is not 2/3 the number of sessions. So that is good. I feel like sometimes the sessions are just trying to fill the full time, and it gets a bit slow. But then other sessions really need more time. So it will be interesting to see.

• 7. Re: Devcon 2017
                      MichaelHolden

As an Aussie, I'm still planning on coming ... to what will be my second DevCon [first = 2015].

It is "only" 2 days of sessions, and yes, I would have preferred the 3 days. But the Monday training day looks good. Last time I did the Intermediate training, and I'm now ready for the Advanced Training.

And although I did learn heaps through the sessions, for me, the best part of DevCon was the networking. Meeting new people, sharing ideas, and picking brains. My biggest ROI from attending last time definitely came from the networking.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 10.12.34 am.png

• 8. Re: Devcon 2017
                        taylorsharpe

Another big change is that sessions used to be 75 minutes.  Now they are 60 and 30 minutes and that is a big change. 

• 9. Re: Devcon 2017
                          taylorsharpe

Michael Holden wrote:

As an Aussie, I'm still planning on coming ... to what will be my second DevCon [first = 2015]. ...

And although I did learn heaps through the sessions, for me, the best part of DevCon was the networking. Meeting new people, sharing ideas, and picking brains. My biggest ROI from attending last time definitely came from the networking.

Glad to see you're coming for a 2nd time!  I hope to see you on the lazy river networking!!! .... do they have cocktails on it?  Are there floating water proof iPads?  I'd say it's going to be hot, but I guess you Aussie's already know hot!

• 10. Re: Devcon 2017
                            philmodjunk

Much less time for Q & A....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Devcon 2017
                              MichaelHolden

40 degrees Celsius in Adelaide today. 41 tomorrow. 

Actually ... when I went to Vegas in 15, it took only 1/2 a day to acclimatise to the heat, despite it being only 10 degrees when I left. . 

I'm lucky, I love the dry heat. From all accounts, that's what I can expect in Phoenix. 

• 12. Re: Devcon 2017
                                bigtom

I recall being in a number of sessions that were packed with information and did not have time for but 1-3 questions as a courtesy to attendees. Same number of sessions is not a way to justify the value. Less is less.

I left my first DevCon hoping they would add another day and now they are making it shorter.

• 13. Re: Devcon 2017
                                  taylorsharpe

Well, the trend in conferences are shorter and more high energy sessions.  I'm the registrar for another conference and am seeing that direction too.  Few small group sessions are now more than 50 minutes long.  Maybe it is a reflection of impatience and instant gratification so common in the American society.  Regardless, certain things take take and effort if you want any kind of proficiency and learning from them.  I guess we'll see how it goes this summer. 

• 14. Re: Devcon 2017
                                    MichaelHolden

Don't think impatience is limited to USA. Exact same issue here.

1 2 3 Previous Next