11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 6:09 AM by jdevans

coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks

jdevans

OK, I have hosted solutions. The server is in a building down the street, but we're on the same domain as the server.

The slowness/coffee-cup shows up when you open a solution that requires a password and is authenticated using Filemaker accounts (not externally).

Once the solution is open, and I do a ctrl+shift+D (Manage Database), I'll see it again and have to wait sometimes 5-10 seconds before Manage Database is open. Same for Manage Layouts. Sometimes I see it when I try to open Script Workspace.

However-

There's an older solution which I have set up to log in using external authentication (except when the file is opened using (Shift+Open). On this file, it can be opened with a double-click which works very fast, and opens the file very quickly. But I have some accounts set up to use a different privilege set that requires the Shift+Open and those accounts authenticate to the Local Filemaker file. Those process slowly. Like 20 seconds to get to the first layout vs practically immediately when the user just double-clicks to open (which then reverts to the external authentication).

I'm stumped at what I need to do to make these open quickly, and why the ones that authenticate using Filemaker accounts are lagging.

PS- I'm not at all a network guy, so anything involving testing and troubleshooting the network will need to be sort of explained in dummy-detail.

• 1. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
          philmodjunk

The slowness/coffee-cup shows up when you open a solution that requires a password and is authenticated using Filemaker accounts (not externally).

I had the same problem here where I work. As a developer, I log in with a FileMaker authenticated account while all other users lot in with externally authenticated accounts. What fixed it was to go into manage | Security on each file and change the authentication order to authenticate FileMaker accounts first, then the externally authenticated accounts.

Apparently, the system does an extensive search of our AD server for the account and then tries authenticating as a FileMaker account only when it can't find my account listed as an AD account. This will also affect the other cases where you are getting a delay as those actions are likely opening other files that are part of your solution in the background and the same "authentication search" is taking place on each of those files.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
            jdevans

Thanks pmj! I was beginning to look at authentication order as a fix but didn't want to mess with it if it wasn't a possibility.

I'll give it a try and let you know.

• 3. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
              jdevans

It seems to have helped in some areas, but not in others. I've got one file that takes about 3 or 4 minutes to open now, even when it authenticates externally. In the middle of the wait, I see in the title bar, "Not Responding" if I click anywhere on the application window, the whole screen sort of goes gray-scale. This looks bad.

hmmm

• 4. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
                philmodjunk

There are other reasons why a file can take a long time to open. If you have FileMaker Advanced, I suggest launching it without opening this particular file, then enabling the script debugger before attempting to open the file. If there's a script that runs with the file first opens (several different triggers might get tripped), you'll see them execute step by step and and you can see which, if any trigger such a delay. You can investigate further from there.

And maybe opening file A also opens File B in the background and the delay is due to an issue with File B--either the authentication order or some other issue. The delay looks like it's due to opening File A, but the issue is actually a part of File B.

• 5. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
                  jdevans

The file I'm opening has about 5 other files that it uses as data sources. I tried using the script debugger to see what's going on. I did it twice- once using the no-pw, and then using the shift+open Local Filemaker account.

The first one opened fast. No lag on any script step.
                  The second one lagged at a  Go To Layout step. That script step is preceded by a Go to Fiind Mode, so when it gets to the layout in question, it's still in Find mode, so the data isn't the problem. That layout though is one that would necessarily depend on the Data Sources (5 or so other FM files).

• 6. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
                    philmodjunk

That suggests that the delay is due to opening the other files--an automatic process if your layout contains fields from those other files. Do you see that delay if you have all the files open first?

Might it be possible not to have 5 different files but to combine all of the data tables into a single file?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
                      FileKraft

did you check the file references? if it is an older solution built in <fmp7 there might be outdated file references listed ..

• 8. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
                        philmodjunk

Ah yes, a very good point.

I remember converting an FMP 5 file to version 10. The external data references were a real "rats nest" and included some that were way too slow to open until I cleaned them up. Took quite a while and a lot of double checking Database Design Reports in order to coalesce duplicate external data source references...

• 9. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
                          jdevans

I had to re-do the source references when we first converted the solution. But it may be that there is still work to do. Thing is, it worked fine for months until I added the External Authentication account. From that point forward, the FileMaker Local accounts have been slow.

philmodjunk, my goal has been to create a single file solution for this for some time, but I haven't tackled this one yet. It was the biggest rat-nest of a solution, and it is used daily by many. Getting a new solution up and running with current data has been the challenge. Still trying to Band-Aid this one while still in use.

• 10. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
                            philmodjunk

Then try running a script that explicitly opens all of the files. then try going to that layout. I suspect that you'll no longer see a coffee cup at the time you bring up the layout, but will during that script. You can run the script in the debugger and see if any one Open File script step is the cause of the delay and if any "OnFirstWindowOpen" scripts might be a factor here.

If all else fails, you might Open all the files as a start up script so that they only see this delay once as part of the initial start up. That often reduces the irritation level.

• 11. Re: coffee cup, slowness on certain tasks
                              jdevans

I made adjustments to the external data source references. I re-ordered them, and it seems to be noticeably faster now. Much less frequently do I see the dreaded coffee cup.

Thanks philmodjunk and FileKraft for the help. Very much appreciated.