7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2017 12:43 PM by lindseym

Comparing Counts

lindseym

I am trying to figure out the best way to compare Initial Counts vs Actual Counts

The initial counts are not located in the database that gives me my CSV to import into FMP.

I thought I would have to import them manually, which isn't ideal but totally acceptable.

Here is what I want it to look like (although when I type an initial QTY all the QTY changes.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.56.18 PM.png

and in layout mode ( I have it twice based on how it is sorted)

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.56.31 PM.png

Is there a better way to do this? Actual QTY will continue to be updated and new sign types may be added. It wouldn't be ideal, but I could manually adjust the initial counts if a new sign type makes things go out of order for the drawing sheets.

Thank you!

-L

• 1. Re: Comparing Counts
          bigtom

Yes. You can do this. I think you might want to look at a portal. Not sure how the initial QTY is related but appears to be in another table.

• 2. Re: Comparing Counts
            fmpdude

As bigtom suggested, what does your ERD look like?

If you think of selecting records using your data model, not from an interface, things are much more straightforward.

• 3. Re: Comparing Counts
              lindseym

Thanks bigtom

The Original QTY is the qty of signs on the work order (this is in an excel sheet, but I can't figure out how to export it and then import into FMP - yet - so for now I think it has to be done manually. Sometimes, after reviewing plans, we need to add more or take away some. Which is done in Bluebeam (software that lets me mark up a drawing and export a CSV with the data).

fmpdude

Well.... if it tells you anything.. I had to look up what an ERD looks like. So this may not be pretty.

Here is what mine looks like. I inherited a VERY basic FMP and have had a lot of help on the forum. When I started I just did what people told me to do to get things to work (and this relationship is from one of those). Now I am refining it and hoping to learn why I did things

Here is that post: (Almost) Same Footer in multiple layouts- auto update field

• 4. Re: Comparing Counts
                lindseym

Opps forgot to add the image!

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 8.36.01 AM.png

• 5. Re: Comparing Counts
                  lindseym

So I tried to see what other ways I could make this happen.

I found in the FMP Solution starter, and invoice and was able to copy and paste the fields and got it to work!

Im having issues with the difference calculation working out right, but ill post that question in the forum post.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 10.27.40 AM.png

Thanks for your input. Helped me get on the right track.

-L

• 6. Re: Comparing Counts
                    philmodjunk

When you do, please describe the design of your solution and what you are trying to do in much more detail. I looked at this question when first posted and skipped answering simply because there were so many different ways you might have set up your solution and I would have had to ask a great many questions about your design just to figure out what you had and what you were trying to do.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Comparing Counts
                      lindseym

philmodjunk

I'm not going to post about the difference calculation not working.

After looking in to it, I needed to have the summary field to be "Running Total" and "Restart summary for each sorted group"

But being more detailed in my searches I was able to figure it out -- so i appreciate the guidance!