1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2017 6:04 PM by philmodjunk

Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position

sansae

Hello,

I'm attempting to mimic a sort by creating several portals, each sorted by a different field, and placing each portal in a slide. (Found this cool method of "sorting" a portal from Phil. Thanks Phil!) So far, I have 6 portals sorted and it works perfectly. However, the only way I've been able to get these portals to be in the exact same position is to manually enter the coordinates myself in the inspector. Is there any way I can, in one go, give these portals one fixed position inside each slide? I have a feeling I'll be doing this type of sort in the future, and I'd love a way to speed up the process. I currently have 22 portals (11 fields + asc/dsc options).

After I dragged each portal into a slide, I tried grouping the slide and the portals, but that didn't work. I then ungrouped it, and tried aligning the left edges and vertical centers but that didn't work either. The latter is something I've done in the past when trying to place an image neatly inside a container.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
          philmodjunk

I've found editing the "top" and "left" settings--after switching the units to points rather than inches or centimeters the simplest.

I suppose that you could place an object outside the portal and align the tops or left edges of the portals all to this one object as a way to get uniform alignment... You might have to lock that object before aligning so that the correct selected object moves and your reference object stays put. (the way this works when aligning a group of objects is that all objects move to align with the object in the "most extreme" position-- the highest object when aligning top edges and the left most object when aligning left edges and so forth...)

• 2. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
            PeterDoern

Here's how I align objects on different tabs, should work with sliders too. I think you'd have to enable the navigation dots at the bottom of the slider for this to work.

1. Select object on Slider 1.

2. Hold down Shift and click on the slider navigation icon of the slider containing object #2

3. Hold down Shift and select object #2.

4. Align objects.

I hope that works out.

EDIT: I'll also note that when you align portals you only need to select the portals themselves, not the fields within them... portal contents move with the portals.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
              philmodjunk

I think this will also work if you use the arrow buttons inside the slide control setup dialog to change panels. I do recall doing this also now that Peter reminds me of the methodology needed to select the objects. Thanks for chiming in on this one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                sansae

Thank You Peter! This worked! Like Magic

I ended up changing the height of my slide and portal objects several times. Your solution definitely saved me a bunch of time.

• 5. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                  sansae

Thank you for you help as always, Phil.

I was wondering how I could change this post from discussion to question?

I'd like to mark Peter's response as correct. (I clicked on Edit but saw no option to change this)

• 6. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                    philmodjunk

It's a failure in design or set up of the forum software. You can only set up the discussion as a "Question" when you make your initial post as far as I know.

You can mark his post as "helpful", however....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                      PeterDoern

I'm glad it worked out for you!

• 8. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                        PeterDoern

For what it's worth, being correct isn't always helpful

• 9. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                          keywords

PeterDoern wrote:

EDIT: I'll also note that when you align portals you only need to select the portals themselves, not the fields within them... portal contents move with the portals.

BUT … you have to make sure the fields are in the same relative positions within all portals otherwise even if the portals appear not to jump around their contents will.

• 10. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                            philmodjunk
                            BUT … you have to make sure the fields are in the same relative positions within all portals otherwise even if the portals appear not to jump around their contents will.

All too true--which is why one normally sets up just one portal, gets it looking and working correctly, the duplicates that portal onto the other panels--only changing the sort order specified on each portal. That reduces a lot of the headaches--until you have to make some trivial change and realize that you have to do the same thing on several different portals without creating any "twitches". That's the main drawback to this approach.

• 11. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                              sansae

PeterDoern wrote:

Yup. I noticed that when I was tinkering with the objects earlier. Thanks

• 12. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                                sansae

philmodjunk wrote:

All too true--which is why one normally sets up just one portal, gets it looking and working correctly, the duplicates that portal onto the other panels--only changing the sort order specified on each portal. That reduces a lot of the headaches...

And that's precisely what I did. I followed your simple suggestion in a another post somewhere on this site and it worked as expected

philmodjunk wrote:

...until you have to make some trivial change and realize that you have to do the same thing on several different portals without creating any "twitches". That's the main drawback to this approach.

This was the only drawback I could find. In my opinion, it isn't all that bad.

I thought that perhaps a crap-load of portals placed in a slide object could somehow slow down the performance, but it didn't I actually tested the slide/portal sort on 46,000 records and it worked very smoothly. I went through each field and did a sort and all was well. There was a slight pause of maybe one second before the new layout showed, but that's really no biggy.

• 13. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                                  golife

That is why I would simply invite all of us to push for allowing us for at least scripting the position of objects. I do not understand why this is not on the roadmap.

If Filemaker would allow setting the top, left, right and bottom via a script - it would save us all uncounted hours multiplied by the number of active users.

But ideally ALL properties of ALL layout objects should be settable using scripts.

)))

• 14. Re: Give Portals in Each Slide Same Position
                                    PeterDoern

Not disputing that but, for the purposes of this workaround it would be even better if FileMaker just let us change the sort order of portals in browse mode.

1 2 Previous Next