11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 7:24 AM by TSGal

Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue

user26705

Issue: On Windows 10 I am finding that when I use a dropdown or pop-up control, the font size in the dropdown selection is point 1.  This makes it impossible to read and I can find no way to control the font size.  All the other controls work perfectly and the font size of all other text respects the font size I set in the inspector.  Please take note that this issue only appears under Windows 10 and is not appearing on Mac OS/X.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Hardware:  Windows Surface Book (16GB RAM/512 GB HD)

Screen Resolution: 3000x2000  (Please note that changing the resolution does not fix this problem)

FileMaker Version: FileMaker Pro 15.0.2.220

Any guidance on how-to resolve this would be greatly appreciated as we are dead in the water at this point.

• 1. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
          TSGal

user26705:

Thank you for your post.

We are aware of some issues with Hi-DPI settings on Windows.  If you change the Windows Display settings to 100%, does the issue still occur?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
            user26705

I changed the settings to 100% and yes – the issue does still occur.  Keep in mind that this only affects the items in the actual drop-down list.  The item selected and displayed on the screen is correct.  For example, if I had a list of user names:

Steve

Mike

Kelly

Lisa

…those names would be 1 point size when I click the down arrow.  If I pick one of the names, say Lisa, then that would appear in the font size for the field – in this case Arial 11

Thanks for the quick follow-up.

• 3. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
              TSGal

user26705:

With your values, I am still unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. In Windows 10, I went into Settings and set the Display to render at 100%.

2. I then launched FileMaker Pro 15.0.2, created a file with two Text fields:  Popup and DropDown.

3. In Layout Mode, I set the formatting for Popup to Pop-up menu, and created the value list Names containing:

Steve

Mike

Kelly

Lisa

4. I set the formatting for DropDown to Drop-down list using the same value list "Names".

5. I added a record, and selected "Steve" for each value.  The value list looks correct.

6. I exited FileMaker Pro.

7. I set the Windows display to 150%, and res-login.

8. I launched FileMaker Pro, reopened the file, and clicked into the fields to check the rendering.

Both value lists still display at 100%; not at the new Windows 150% display.  However, once a selection is made from the value list, it displays at 150%.

Make sure you are setting the Windows display at 100% and not FileMaker zoom at 100%.  These are different settings.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 1.40.35 PM.png

• 4. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
                user26705

Hi -

We did this originally and it did not affect the outcome, we also redid this to double check and had the same outcome again.  Something that might help, is that aside from the drop-down list not displaying correctly, the FM icons across the top are also rather small and unusable.

To date we have:

-Changed the display setting size.

-Changed the resolution.

-Played with advanced display settings.

None of this worked.

• 5. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
                  TSGal

user26705:

The size of the icons is also an indication of the system display settings, but if this isn't working, then something else is involved.

Create a new Windows account, login to the new windows account, make sure the system display settings are set to 100%, launch FileMaker Pro, and create a new database file.  Do the icons still display small?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
                    user26705

Yes they do - sorry.

• 7. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
                      TSGal

user26705:

Since I am unable to replicate the issue, and Windows Display is set at 100%, try reinstalling FileMaker Pro.  If that still doesn't work, do you have access to another Windows machine?  If so, set the Windows display to 100%, install FileMaker Pro on that machine, and see if the issue exists.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
                        GeorgeChristiana

Filemaker has been useless solving this issue on windows 10.  I raised this over a year ago, and the same tech support rep replied with the same useless "we can't replicate" nonsense.  It's a known scaling problem with high resolution screens in windows 10.  None of filemaker's solutions are acceptable.

Below is a workaround fix.  (Written for adobe, but the solution works for filemaker as well.)  I have confirmed it works.  Make the reg edits it suggests.  Then download and rename the manifest file to "FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe.manifest" and place it in the FM executable folder.

Note, if you have a different version of FM (non-advanced, for example), your executable filename may be different.

Adobe App Scaling on High DPI Displays (FIX) | Dan Antonielli

• 9. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
                          TSGal

GeorgeChristiana:

Yes, this scaling issue is well-known under Windows with high resolution screens when the display is set to anything above 100%.  However, the original poster is having the issue at 100%, which we cannot reproduce.

Thank you for the link to another workaround.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
                            GeorgeChristiana

I can confirm the issue is still present at 100% as well on a SP4.  The only way I can fix this is with the workaround posted above. 

• 11. Re: Windows 10 Dropdown Font Issue
                              TSGal

GeorgeChristiana:

Since we have been unable to replicate, please describe your layout.  Specifically, what theme are you using?  What are the font settings for the fields formatted as pop-up menus?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.