1 of 1 people found this helpful
The only way it can be done from inside FM is through a plugin that supports all SQL functions. Then you can use ALTER to change field names. Kinda dangerous sometimes.
You can do it from outside FM through the xDBC interface too.
Thanks for your reply,
I think that I will:
1. Get the latest copy of the client's data (thank goodness I only have
2. Bring it in to the current production application on my PC (with
3. Make all of the changes to the database (again)
4. Export the data
5. Update the client's PC (runtime) to the latest version
6. Import the changed database
Kind of labor intensive but it seems to be the only way available to me (no
SQL and I don't know what the xDBC interface is - but I will look it up).
* Old Dog Allergic To New Tricks
When you import data from the old version to the new, you don't have to have identical field names. It can be tedious, but you can script a series of import records script steps where you manually align the fields so that fields that have been renamed align with the field of the original name in the older file.
Altering the Import commands is easier than my way (I'll just have to
remember to change it once on the new program). You saved me again. Thanks.