user17152

Need help with external authentication and Open Directory

Discussion created by user17152 on Jan 7, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 by wimdecorte

Hello everyone,

I'd like to set up an Open Directory server for external authentication but am pretty clueless about how Open Directory works and was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction, perhaps some links to other forum threads or online tutorials?

I have two servers, one running Filemaker 15 Server, the other running OS X Server.  I've enabled Open Directory on the OS X machine and made a few user accounts, but that's about as far as I've gotten.  I've added the OS X Server IP to the Filemaker Server's Directory Service tab, but I didn't know what to enter for Entry Point.  I'm also not sure if my directory server requires me to log on?  I'm also unclear about whether or not DNS needs to be enabled on the OS X Server machine?

When I click the "Test Directory Services Settings" button on the Filemaker Server's Directory Service tab, it reports "successful", but I'm not able to login when I open my test file with an externally authenticated user account.

I'd appreciate any advice or links you external authentication pros have to offer.  Thanks!

Outcomes