10 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 11:58 AM by fmpdude

Additional User Interface Dialogs?

fmpdude

Is there a third-party library that extends FMP to add layout user interface controls like file picker and progress dialogs?

I did a search but didn't find any.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
          nicolai

There are some plugins which provide custom dialogue boxes - Troi Dialogue comes to mind.

Any plugins with file manipulation functions will have a file picker dialogue -  Troi File, BaseElements, many others

I do not think Plugin API gives you access to modifying layout objects, though. MBS plugin adds some changes to Developer tools, like Database diagram search box.

The usual approach is to use web viewer and push info back to FileMaker with JavaScript and fmp protocol

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
            miler24

We use the free 360Works ScriptMaster plugin for a "file picker".  As for progress dialogs, we use an overlay opaque popover with global variable merged text that updates during a lengthy script, so that's native.  Not sure if that's what you're looking for but hope it helps!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
              nicolai

360Works ScriptMaster is a good choice. Btw, fmpdude, this lets you create custom FileMaker script steps in Java.

• 4. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
                fmpdude

Your answer was also correct, but I saw Nicolai's first.

Thanks very much!!!

• 5. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
                  philmodjunk

And you can directly get the OS's "file picker" in FileMaker without a plug in via the Insert File script step.

• 6. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
                    fmpdude

Very nice.

Trying the Example 2 from here: Insert File

I can't seem to get the actual dialog to pop up.

When I click the button the script is attached to, the cursor goes into the filepath field, but no dialog.

I also tried "Let the user choose" and "Reference".

Couldn't find any examples online from my searches that showed and actual dialog.

Thanks Phil.

• 7. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
                      philmodjunk

You have to insert into a container field. The way that I've used this is to provide a client with an "updater" script that imports all data from all tables of an older version of their solution into a new clone that I am delivering. The user gets the file dialog, they find and select the Old copy of their solution and "open" it. This inserts a "reference" to the file into the container field and I can then parse the file path to the file out of that container field.

Details:

I set up a layout with a global container field on it. I then use a script with Insert file, specifying the Container field as the target of the Insert. I disable error capture and use Get (LastError) immediately after the insert to check to see if the user clicked "cancel" instead of "opening" a file.

I then use GetValue [ ContainerField ; ValueCount ( ContainerFIeld ) ]

To extract the file path and assign it to my $Path variable so that I can use it with each of my Import Records Script steps to import data from the selected source file.

I could also add more error trapping by using GetContainerAttribute to get the file name and could check that to help make sure that the user doesn't select a completely wrong file by mistake.

• 8. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
                        fmpdude

OK, thanks.

Appreciate the excellent follow up and terrific info as always.

• 9. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
                          synergy46

I find that 360 works 5.03 will not work with FileMaker 16 runtime.

Your experience???

• 10. Re: Additional User Interface Dialogs?
                            fmpdude

What features in particular are you missing now?