2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 3:35 PM by mikebeargie

Any traps when changing external file references from IP to FQDN?

kiwikaty

Hi there

I am sure lots of people have had to do this before. I need to change all external file references from IP to FQDN to keep fm15 happy with certs.

Can I just edit the external reference in each file and change IP to FQDN in existing references? is there any impact on scripts/relationships etc. In theory all the same table and file id's as effectively same files so it should all stay intact right? (Solution split between multiple servers).

I was told it "should be ok" but would like a bit more reassurance than that before I implement in production.

Many thanks for your advice.

• 1. Re: Any traps when changing external file references from IP to FQDN?
          fitch

Yep, should be ok.

The external file references will work exactly as before.

If you have hard-coded the IP in a text string somewhere, like a web viewer or a script step, that's different. If you have FileMaker Advanced you can generate a DDR and search for those.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Any traps when changing external file references from IP to FQDN?
            mikebeargie

For the most part, FM supports failovers as well, where you can list multiple paths to a related file. So aside from "should be ok", you can also list two paths to the source just in case one doesn't work.

The best order is local > LAN IP > DNS > WAN IP, EG:

File.fmp12

fmnet:/192.168.10.10/File.fmp12

fmnet:/somedomain.name/File.fmp12

fmnet:/72.12.10.123/File.fmp12

Note that some performance can be lost while waiting to check each file to see if it can be opened. You can take care of this by "opening" the external file as part of the login script. Once connected, the speed is no longer limited by the check for the source.

2 of 2 people found this helpful