12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 1:29 PM by CICT

Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?

user28222

Hi all,

I have the following (abbreviated) script that allows the user to navigate a spreadsheet like layout to enter numeric data:

#Up arrow

If $keystroke=31

Go to Record[Next]

#Down arrow

else if $keystroke=29

Go to Record[Previous]

End If

Where $keystroke=Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke))

Development and testing done on Mac and it ran fine and smooth on spreadsheet like layout.

However, when testing the FM app on a Windows 10 Pro Surface 4 Pro tablet, I have the following quirky behavior:

When rapidly pressing or continuously holding the arrow key, I am getting strange characters entered into the the fields (e.g. ampersands)

Does anybody have any insights into how to avoid this?  Again, on the mac it's very smooth navigation.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
          CICT

Suggest you add to one of these: OnObjectKeystroke issues with arrow keys  orOnObjectKeystroke Trigger Problem in Windows

Would appreciate your added input to help FileMaker trace the problem.

Kind regards

Andy

• 2. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
            philmodjunk

What happens if you end the script with Exit Script [false] so  that the actual keystroke is never processed by FileMaker?

• 3. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
              user28222

Hi CICT,

I read your description and it matches the problem I have, the only difference being that I had the script under OnLayoutKeystrokeTrigger as opposed to OnObjectKeystrokeTrigger - this merely emphasizes the universality of this rather annoying but potentially deal-killing bug(my FM appp is in production testing mode as of today!)

I will provide whatever assistance you need to help solve this issue.  How to link my discussion to your heading?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                user28222

Hi Phil,

Yes I did add that Exit command in the script.

My intuition is Windows has some additional keystroke background subprocesses in the OS that interfere with FM's reading of the keystroke - something about 'sticky keys' which I never really used.  Please note this is my intuition.

MeanwhileI am reading up on Windows 10 Pro literature to see if there is a work-around - will let everyone on this thread know if there is a breakthrough....

Much thanks.

• 5. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                  user28222

I forgot to add:  app was developed on Mac with FM Pro 15, tested as a stand-alone Mac FM Pro 15, then tested on Windows 10 Pro Surface Pro 4 as stand-alone app, with eventual goal of being a FM Server 15 solution.  Don't know if touch-sensitive adds to the complication.

• 6. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                    CICT

Hi

Of the two postings, mine was the second, therefore I'd suggest copying the URL of your posting here and adding a post to the original OnObjectKeystroke issues with arrow keys comment that you have the same problem and paste the URL of this posting into it.

TSGal et al are aware of those 2 postings and this will add weight to the problem, which does seem to be a bit hit and miss in terms of being able to replicate.

Regards

Andy

• 7. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                      nickj

It sounds like a system setting on the windows PC.

The probable culprit is in the keyboard settings. I can't check against the surface pro but it may be a combination of the 'Filter Keys' setting which can stop the system responding to inadvertent multiple key strokes (usually a rapid succession) and a keyboard helper.

I have a windows tablet and I can make the OS suppress rapid real and virtual keyboard presses.
                      I haven't found where to make it cycle through characters mapped to the key but I suspect it's there (bit like the old mobile keypads).

I'll play a little more

• 8. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                        user28222

Hi nickj,

That is encouraging.

Can you provide some infromation on supressing rapid keyboard presses - I have Windows 10 Pro on Surface Pro 4 ?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                          user28222

Hi Andy,

Any developments on this recently?

D-day is approaching for me where I have to either:

a) convert client to Mac (a bit of cognitive dissonance for client)

or

b) give client heads up on the keystroke issue for Windows 10 Pro version (a whole bunch of headaches)

You mentioned previously that this issue is not always replicable.  Do you know if Windows 7 Pro with FM Pro 15 would not have this issue?

Best,

Wonmoh

• 10. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                            CICT

Hi Wonmoh

We've no further info I'm afraid, it seems to be computer by computer. We did replicate this on a Windows 2008 Server (equivalent to a Windows 7 PC) and have seen it on one Windows 10 computer but not another.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for FileMaker to diagnose or fix this. We've been waiting since last May for a fix to the memory leak that is causing us productivity problems and since September for a fix to the Windows font bug they introduced with the v15.0.2 update, that has prevented us updating our Windows users.

We can't help but have the suspicion that there is too much focus on new features and not enough on getting existing features working correctly, particularly on the Windows platform. This time last year I believe we had v14.0.5 released and v14.0.6 in May. Here we are still stuck with v15.0.1 released last May, can't upgrade to v15.0.2 and no doubt v16 is due in a few months. I don't know what has gone wrong with them this year, which is even more frustrating as we were initially really pleased with the work they'd done on v15.

We are keeping our fingers crossed when we release our newest version of our CRM system to this particular client who needs the arrow key navigation. Until they try it on all their PCs we won't know where we stand.

Kind regards

Andy

• 11. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                              user28222

Andy,

What was the difference(if any) between the WIndows 10 PC that did and did not have the keystroke issue?  Touch vs non-touch, by any chance?

Thanks!

Wonmoh

• 12. Re: Windows vs Mac Difference in Keystroke Processing?
                                CICT

Hi Wonmoh

Sorry, but there is no identifiable consistencies. We don't have enough PCs to work out what the differences between them are. We mostly use cloud VMs and reverted to Parallels VMs and then whatever hardware we could lay our hands on. No conclusions I'm afraid.

Kind regards

Andy