1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 4:24 PM by bigtom

records being deleted spontaneously

jamed

I am in Africa using a patient data base I made with FM13. It has worked well for 2 years then last year some whole records were spontaneously deleted. Now this year the same thing but also some picture and data fields are being cleared spontaneously, very frustrating. We use a Mac platform. We also use the FM13 and 14 app on iPhones and iPads. I would be very grateful for any help.

• 1. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
          philmodjunk

I would first use recover to check the file for damage. A damaged file or a file with a damaged index can exhibit a number of problems--including records that go missing.

Rogue scripts that delete records under circumstances that you did not foresee can be an issue.

Rogue users that are deleting records when they shouldn't can also be a problem.

All of the above can also be an issue for data missing from fields.

Also, records in one table can be deleted when a related record is deleted from another. This "delete" option is something specified in a relationship. It's very powerful and useful, but if set up wrong, a "cascading delete" can delete records that should not be deleted. It can be hard to track this down if your relationship graph has multiple occurrences of the same table. All it takes is one "delete" option hidden away in one part of your relationship graph and a cascading delete can happen even if you deleted the record via a layout or portal that refers to a different occurrence of the same table.

• 2. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
            siplus

Do you use different access privileges in your database ? If not, you should.

a "read only" one, a "secretary" one, a "doctor" one and a "admin" one, to make it short.

In our product only Admins can delete a Patient record, and it never happened to have a Patient record deleted, in 15 years and on thousand computers, from Filemaker 6 all the way to Filemaker 15.

Also make sure - if you do use privileges - that you don't have some accessible deleting scripts set to run with admin privileges.

• 3. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
              jamed

Thank you for helping me. I have tried the recovery function with no improvement. I only use 12 scripts in this simple data base. I thought someone might be doing this last year but now the record or field can delete within 5 minutes of entering the data.

any other ideas?

• 4. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                philmodjunk

You have only responded to one of my "ideas", I hope that you are giving careful consideration to the others.

And siplus has made a very useful suggestion here as well.

• 5. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                  jamed

You are right, I have not as perhaps I don’t understand how to do this very well. At our hospital all the people that use the database enter data- i.e. enter pictures of wounds or X-rays. The network is local for privacy reasons. Can I block all deletions except for the administrator?

• 6. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                    siplus

Backups

Backups

Backups

• 7. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                      jamed

I am sorry- The database is simple and not relational. The scripts are also simple with no delete function. I am backingup and have retrieved some records, but importing from a backup doesn’t import pictures I believe. Am I wrong? We are copy and pasting the X-rays and pictures. Sadly these deletions are occurring at times to fast to catch them from a backup. I will try to set up deletions from the Admin only- great idea. Although I have used Filemaker since 1992 I am a simple user as my time is consumed by medicine. I sure appreciate all your help and so quickly.

• 8. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                        siplus

And everybody is appreciating your dedication; your only concern should be helping people, not recovering data from backups. We fully understand that.

• 9. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                          Jade

jamed,

Are you sharing or merging patient data among the iPhones, iPads and Mac platform over the local network?   If so, how?

At our hospital all the people that use the database enter data- i.e. enter pictures of wounds or X-rays. The network is local for privacy reasons.

• 10. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                            jamed

Thank you Jade- No merging of data is done. Everyone accesses the data held on the same computer in our X-ray department through a local network between X-ray, surgery department and the surgical ward. Data on the computer is accessed through the FM app on various iPhones and iPads, primarily the FM app13

• 11. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                              Jade

Sorry for all these questions.  I'm just trying to get a picture of your system setup.

Are you using FileMaker Server on that computer in the X-ray department?  Is the database file stored on a local hard drive on that computer?

• 12. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                                jamed

No problem I appreciate the help. I do not have the server program as our network is sequestered from the internet. The file is stored on the desktop of the radiology computer, a Mac mini

In His service

• 13. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                                  Jade

If you are not using FileMaker Server application on that computer in the X-ray department, then are you using FileMaker Pro with its FileMaker sharing turned on?

• 14. Re: records being deleted spontaneously
                                    jamed

I am using FMpro and I believe sharing is on but I will have to ck at the hospital in the AM as it is now 10:30 PM. I will respond in the morning. Thanks again

1 2 Previous Next