rigger

Value List/Lookup question

Discussion created by rigger on Jan 11, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 by rigger

I have a labor rate field I am populating from a dropdown. The record with the rate contains a cost code, say 1234.

The value list the dropdown uses is based on fields in a file called Labor Rates. The relationship for the value list shows all the labor rates and labor rate descriptions that match the current cost code.When the user picks a value from the dropdown, a lookup triggers that grabs the unique ID from the record in Labor Rates. The relationship the lookup uses does the lookup based on costcode & price.

My problem is that it turns out that multiple items in the labor rates table can have the same costs, so that means my lookup grabs only the first matching record based on costcode & price, not the ID of the item the user actually selected.

I need to get a unique ID from the Labor Rates table for the rate the user selects from the dropdown. Can I do this using a dropdown and script trigger, or do I need to have the user pick from a portal? The other gotcha is the user wants the labor rates drop down to sort a specific way.

I thought about using a popup menu on my ID field and grabbing the value that way, but the sorting requirement is messing me up, plus the popup menu is unwieldy with a large list of values.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Outcomes