1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 6:35 AM by smcfeeters

Filemaker 15 container corruption

smcfeeters

I have an image management system that I've been using since Filemaker 13.  With the migration to Filemaker 15 I've noticed corruption in the database.  While I'm indexing the image data occasionally one of the images will disappear.  At first I thought it was just user error.  But after repeated instances, I knew it was not a user error.  It looks like the record just gets deleted, without any confirmation or notification. 

As I had no means to "capture" the problem, I decided to create a mirror table of the images, and link them together.  While working today, one of my records "disappeared", so I new I had captured the situation.  When I looked at the mirror, my record was supposed to 14564 in the production database.  That record still existed in the production database, however the contents of the container field were replaced with the contents of the last image added to the database (14582).

This database worked fine in Filemaker 13 and in Filemaker 14, I've only noticed this issue in Filemaker 15.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
          TSGal

smcfeeters:

Thank you for your post and screen shots.

First, I would run a Recover on the file to see if any errors are reported.  I would also go back to an older copy of the file that worked, duplicate that file, open the duplicate and delete all records, and then import the data and images from the recovered database.  This will reset all information.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
            smcfeeters

I take a daily, weekly and monthly  backups of this database.  I ran the Recover against last nights backup and it shows no errors.

I'm not certain if this problem started when the client was updated for FM15 or the server was updated to FM15.

I won't be back in the main office till late next week, and that is the earliest I'll be able to do a full reset.  I don't have high expectations for it, as the database was purged off all data in August.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
              smcfeeters

This is getting even stranger.

Today I went to scroll to the top of a container and it "disappeared", but the strange part is it was replaced by an image I had never loaded into the database.  It was replaced with a copy of a PDF file I had previously dragged from 1 email message to another (about 5 minutes earlier).

I simply clicked on the scroll bar to see the top of the image and it was replaced.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                smcfeeters

This is the before and after.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.18.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.10.11 AM.png

• 5. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                  TSGal

smcfeeters:

Create a Calculation field with the formula:

GetContainerAttribute ( <Container field> ; "All" )

This contains metadata information that may provide some insight into the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                    smcfeeters

The problem occurred again.

I was processing an invoice from MEGACORP and went to highlight the invoice number so I could put it in the accounting system.  The cursor flashed a symbol and the image was replaced with another image (ALLIED Potato).

The contents of the calculation field is:

[General]

Filename: PO_162391_from_Allied_Potato_Inc._2788.pdf

Storage Type: Embedded

MD5: B896BF72D4829AB3DAC07B226B299AD5

File Size: 115337

Internal Size: 238699

External Size: 0

External Files: 0

[Image]

Width: 612

Height: 792

• 7. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                      TSGal

smcfeeters:

Thank you for the contents of the Calculation field.

The PDF is showing the image from Allied Potato, so there was a replace occurring.  Possibly due to some records having the same record ID.

Check to see if the file is damaged by making a clone of the file, and then perform a Recover on the clone.  Check the Recover.log file to see if there are any errors.  If so, fix the errors.

Once the clone is stable, import from the main file so all new record ID's are created.  Verify all the records are imported properly, and the Container fields have correct information.

Archive the original file and resume working with the new file.

Keep me updated with any changes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                        smcfeeters

As suggested I built the new file and have been using it for about a week without any issues.  That all ended today.  The problem is back again.

I was working on an invoice from C.H. Robinson and used my mouse to highlight the invoice number.  When I did that the container field got replaced with the contents of a financial statement I mailed out 30 minutes earlier.

The contents of the calculation field are:

[General]

Filename: Activity Statements.pdf

Storage Type: Embedded

MD5: 2233DCBAA254E1FF92CCC5B45D9956E2

File Size: 150248

Internal Size: 254605

External Size: 0

External Files: 0

[Image]

Width: 612

Height: 792

• 9. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                          TSGal

smcfeeters:

Send in a clone of your file with the steps generally taken so I can hopefully replicate the issue.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the clone.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                            smcfeeters

I don't know if this helps or not, but I thought I should share it.

While I was working between my Filemaker applications today, I went from the processing system and onto the image management system.  I was about to highlight the invoice number I needed to copy over.  When I pressed down on the mouse button, the curser changed to a green plus  sign.  Rather than release the mouse I dragged the cursor out of the application and onto the desktop before releasing the button.  The container field remained unchanged, and no document was copied to my desktop.  I went back to the same place in the container and when I pressed the mouse to highlight the invoice number it worked normally.

• 11. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                              TSGal

smcfeeters:

This information does help.  When the "+" sign appears, that means you are about to paste after dragging a selection.  Dragging to the Desktop and releasing the mouse button might paste, depending on the contents of the clipboard.  Since nothing occurred, the clipboard probably contained text.

Are you using a mouse that came with the computer?  Is the mouse speed set to anything out of the norm?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                                smcfeeters

The computer is a Mac Pro, and I'm using a Magic Mouse 2 with it.  Everything is set to average speed, and standard button options (i.e right click is enabled).Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 5.11.10 PM.png

• 13. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                                  TSGal

smcfeeters:

I set up a Magic Mouse 2 including right-click with an iMac (macOS 10.12.3).  The only way I can get the green "+" to appear is when I click-drag a selection into a field.

I will seek out a MacBook to test.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Filemaker 15 container corruption
                                    smcfeeters

I don't actually get the when I'm actually loading documents into the container.  I've attached a snapshot of a typical email to FileMaker dragging operation.Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.48.20 AM.png

1 2 Previous Next