There is a FM add-on (not a plugin) that allows different types of trial setups. They were actually giving it away for free until 12/31/2016. I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to play with it.
The product link on the still seems to show a request for getting it free. I don't know if it's actually valid. You could contact them I suppose.
You might also just "cripple" the demonstration enough that while it demonstrates its capabilities, it can't be put into practical long term use.
You might, for example put large red letters on layouts used for printing that say "TRIAL" or "DEMO" and you can modify any parts that show the organization name to include such terms as well.
You could do this with a branch inside an opener script, something like the following:
1. Make sure you set up a user account with limited user access privileges and set the file to open with that.
2. Create a script that runs OnFirstWindowOpen.
3. In the script, hard-code an expiry date within a branch that checks current date against expiry date.
4. Up to the expiry date, the script proceeds to open the file. As a courtesy to users the script could also throw a custom message each time the file is opened advising something like: "You have x days left in your trial period."
5. Once the date is passed, the script posts a new custom message: "Sorry. Times up!" or whatever, and then closes the file. Before closing, you could also give the user a prompt to contact you—maybe even initiate an email.
6. Of course your script will also include a branch that allows you, with your full access account to bypass the above.
If you still interested in how to create a Trialware / Demo version from a FileMaker Pro Solution - while the user can't turn the clock back (well, not easily) using only three FM native scripts, no plug ins and removing access level privilege _ so the Time Bomb (Trialware) scripts can't be deleted pls check out the video at How to end the trial period of a Trialware - YouTube and you may want to leave some comments : )
just wondering, if they open it with the master password (easily can be found using password hacking apps) they can they also remove the time bomb / trial ware scripts - or better to permanently remove Admin Access ?
Along Keywords above suggestion:
This is Just a suggestion for what you might do. Also Perhaps cripple the file with Na Admin Access.
I use custom Menus, that don’t have access to all the standard FM menus with out Login with a specific password. The custom menu does NOT give access to layout views, scripts views, and other stuff.
OnFirstWindowOpen, under File, File Options…, Script Triggers, run a script, I call OpenSplash.
1) In a global field (Table::g_Version) I store the word “Demo”.
2) In a another global field (Table::g_Initial_Date) = 0.
3) Another global field (Table::g_Today_Date).
4) Another global field (Table::g_Days) is a calculated field: 40 - ( g_Today_Date - g_Initial_Date ).
40 is the trial duration days.
5) For the OpenSplash script, it contains something like this:
If [ Table::g_Version = “Demo” ]
If [ Table::g_Initial_Date = 0 ]
Set Field [ Table::g_Initial_Date ; Get ( CurrentDate ) ]
Set Field [ Table::g_Today_Date ; Get ( CurrentDate ) ]
If [ Table::g_Days < 0 ]
Go to Layout [ “Export_Demo” ( Export_Demo ) ]
Exit Script [ Text Result: ]
The Export Demo Layout, allows for only exporting data, quitting, and a Login (Also has a message, Demo Expired), if the Login with the specific password occurs then a script runs that brings back the standard FM Menu and all access (You can then set the field Table::g_Version = “Full” ) , or can make it anything convenient.
You can even have a file that runs a script calling the client file, and change the field, Table::g_Version = “Full”, or can make it anything convenient.
Thnaks for the comment
1. I am already using the No Admin Access (see end of video)
2. I use time too, not just date so user can't turn back the clock to a date that is less then the number of days set by the Trialware. Without the time field, they can turn it back
3. Will look at the 'custom menus' prob is that I want to permanently remove Admin Access to prevent the use of Password Hacking apps
thanks again for ur comments : )