13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2017 6:02 AM by JonA

FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode

yzysoft_gg

Product and version: FileMaker Pro Advanced v.15.0.2.220

OS and version: macOS v.10.12.2

Hardware MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011), 4 GB of RAM and iMac (21-inch, Early 2016), 8 GB of RAM.

Description

I experience unexplainable constant crashing (halts for long time) when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode. On the moment I go from Layout mode to Browse mode, FileMaker starts "thinking" for a very long time. The mouse wheel start spinning and FileMaker Pro Advanced shows: “Application not Responding”. Then I have to Force Quite FMPA to start it over.

It started after last update to FMPA v.15.0.2.220. First of all I thought my file is damaged, so I ran Recover (no problems found) and still the problem exist.  I didn’t notice any loss of table for the layout or big changes in file size. Although, sometimes FMPA wakes up after 5-10-15 minutes and saves changes. But sometimes it lasts up to 30 mins. I also refer this problem to Damaged Files Repair profesionals and they found workaround's Option 1.

Then I opened the backup file 6 months old and I experience the same issue. So I think that it might be a FileMaker Pro Advanced issue. Please note that the solution has more than 400 layouts and has about 40 folders. I didn't experience anything similar since version 9, when I started to develop the solution. Please help!!!

How to replicate

I could send the file to FMI support for examination. Please let me know the email where I could send to.

Workaround

Option 1. Break all layouts folder structure which cause to remove all layouts from folders. I found that this doesn't get the FMPA to crash.
      Option 2. Downgrade FMPA to version 15.0.1.

• 1. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
          Benjamin Fehr

When you have the Apple Activity Monitor open, what would you see when forcing the crash?

Does it make any difference wether you have 'Manage Layouts' AND/OR Script Workspace AND/OR  Inspector open when switching from Layout- to Browse-Mode?

Option 1. Break all layouts folder structure which cause to remove all layouts from folders. I found that this doesn't get the FMPA to crash.

Are you sure that in 'Manage Layouts', when listed every layout top/down without any folder, you won't get a crash?

• 2. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
            yzysoft_gg

Benjamin, thank you for your reply. You asked very good questions. I will test it tomorrow and will get back with an answers.

Answering about Option 1. I could develop for more than an hour when layout where removed from folders and didn't experience the crash. Although the file with the folder structure crashes in a first half an hour. But I am not sure that it won't crash later...

• 3. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
              deanchampeau

Did you try logging in to the mac with a newly-created account to isolate the issue from all your fonts and other user library cruft?

• 4. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                yzysoft_gg

deanchampeau, thanks for your response.

I did some testing based on suggestions above. I created a new account on my Mac and did tests. FileMaker 1st time crashed after about 20 mins of development and 2nd crash was after about 30 mins after 1st crash.

Here are the results:

- Does it crash when 'Manage Layouts' is opened:
                     1st crash: no Manage Layouts window was opened

2nd crash: Manage Layouts window was opened

- Does it crash when 'Workspace' is opened:

1st crash: 'Workspace' was opened

2nd crash: 'Workspace' was opened

- Does it crash when 'Inspector' is opened:

1st crash: 'Inspector' was opened

2nd crash: 'Inspector' was opened

Here is the Apple Activity Monitor results when forcing the crash:

- 1st crash's files
                - 2nd crash's files

• 5. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                  TSGal

yzysoft_gg:

Thank you for your posts.

Please post the latest crash report up to and including the crashed thread.  This will provide some basic information where FileMaker Pro is crashing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                    yzysoft_gg

TSGal:

thank you for your reply. As I mentioned above the FileMaker doesn't crash it get to the "FileMaker not Responding" status. Then I have to Force Quit it. Although sometimes it get it's pulse back (after 5-15 mins), but sometimes it takes more than half an hour.

Please let me know if the crash report after Force Quit will help? I will try to get it to you.

• 7. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                      TSGal

yzysoft_gg:

Thank you for the clarification.

Feel free to send in a copy of your solution so I can see why FileMaker Pro is hanging.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                        TSGal

yzysoft_gg:

I received your files.  Thank you.

Working with the file today, I have been unable to make it hang.  I've added 10 popovers, I've copied popovers, I've duplicated popovers, etc.

What can you tell me about other windows that are open?  For example, is the Script Workspace open?  Debugger?  Data Viewer?

Do you have any plug-ins installed/enabled?

In your instructions, you mentioned copying a popover from another layout.  Which layout?  Which popover?  This will help me determine if a particular popover is causing the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                          TSGal

yzysoft_gg:

I received your video and instructions.  Thank you.

Even after following your video, I am unable to make FileMaker Pro hang.  After copying and pasting the specific Popover, I was then able to create 100+ Popovers.  It got to the point where I could neither see your fields nor your objects on the screen.

Disable/uninstall each of the plug-ins, reboot FileMaker Pro, and see if you can still replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                            yzysoft_gg

Hello TSGall,

I followed your instructions and did a clean install of my macOS and installed only FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced v. 15.0.3.335. No plugins at all.

Unfortunately I experienced the same behaviour of FMPA, it hanged for long time again. Although I did some changes in the Layout ("Interests list") which caused such behaviour:
                            - Deleted the portals which were TWO, both of them were placed on each other. Calculated condition hide one of them which means I use Hide option. Also it does have filtering, sorting enabled an most of the Objects are with Local CSS. I presume that the Layout is really crowded.

After these changes I didn't experience the hang of FMPA. So I come to conclusions that:

1. FMPA has an issue to deal with so crowded layout.

2. My Mac's tech specs are not enough for so crowded layout.

Could you please confirm or deny any of these conclusions?

Big thanks for your support!

• 11. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                              TSGal

yzysoft_gg:

Since I could not replicate the hang, I cannot speculate what caused the issue on your end.  From your description, it sounds like FileMaker Pro was having trouble with one of your objects on the layout since replacing the objects seems to have fixed it.

I have worked with files with far more complex layouts without any issues, so your first conclusion is not true.

My Mac is running macOS Sierra 10.12.3 (10.12.2 at the time of testing) with 16 GB RAM.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                                yzysoft_gg

Thank you for all your support. I had to recreate the layout in the different way and to overcome when PORTAL is on PORTAL and when one of them is hidden based on condition. Looks like it solved my problems...

Anyway, I think FileMaker should discover this issue, maybe it's due to my Mac's lack of resources or something else related. My Mac's resources with SSD disk:

My Mac.png

• 13. Re: FM Adv crashes when switching from Layout mode to Browse mode
                                  JonA

I was having similar issues on my MacBook Pro. Since doubling RAM (from 4 GB to 8 GB), I've been crash free.