5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2017 9:15 PM by taylorsharpe

G2 Crowd ranking of Rapid Application Development Software

taylorsharpe

I just saw this link on the front page of www.FileMaker.com and checked it out.  It's an interesting comparison of RAD software.  I remember a little while ago that FM sent out something encouraging people to go to go rank it except Partners like myself weren't allowed to rank it, only end users.  Anyway, the report is out and you might find it as something to help sell to people about why use the FileMaker framework and what are comparison's to its competitors.  In this survey, FileMaker ranked higher than any of its competitors in the survey. 

You can get a link there at:  Rapid Application Development - Download G2 Crowd Report | FileMaker

G2-RAD.png

• 1. Re: G2 Crowd ranking of Rapid Application Development Software
          Draco

Hi Taylor,

I think about the point: Development speed, ... there is nothing that surpasses FileMaker.

But,...FM should only be compared with other 4GL (ex: Comparing FM with django is a mistake ). Even comparing with them, I think it would be a winner (on the subject: speed of development)

The problem I see in measuring with other 4GL, in other areas, ... like:

- Performance                  ( 10, 30, 50, 100, 500, 1000 concurrent users )

- Prices per concurrence ( 10, 30, 50, 100, 500, 1000 concurrent users )

- Integration Web

In FMP the development speed is fine, the segment where I can use that solution (scope), ... I think not so much.

-> This is due to performance and prices. ( please, understand that the design of the solution is correct, optimal and professional.)

-> I would like to see laboratory measurements comparing performances against other similar software (similar in paradigm)

regards

Draco

• 2. Re: G2 Crowd ranking of Rapid Application Development Software
            bigtom

I guess the campaign where they are paying people to review FM on G2 is working. Not sure if that affects the data at all.

• 3. Re: G2 Crowd ranking of Rapid Application Development Software
              CarlSchwarz

Draco wrote:

Hi Taylor,

FM should only be compared with other 4GL (ex: Comparing FM with django is a mistake ). Even comparing with them, I think it would be a winner (on the subject: speed of development)

The problem I see in measuring with other 4GL, in other areas, ... like:

- Performance ( 10, 30, 50, 100, 500, 1000 concurrent users )

- Prices per concurrence ( 10, 30, 50, 100, 500, 1000 concurrent users )

- Integration Web

regards

Draco

In the right context comparing the two is fine.  I recently quoted a small business for an application in FileMaker, and they went out and got another quote from a software house doing it in a SQL based application at over 15x my quote, and several months longer development time.  Sure the SQL version could have handled 10's of thousands of users, but the business only has 15 staff.

• 4. Re: G2 Crowd ranking of Rapid Application Development Software
                Draco

Hi Carl,...

Therefore, competition is another, ... is who can give (benefits) similar or better, at similar or lower prices.

regards

Draco

• 5. Re: G2 Crowd ranking of Rapid Application Development Software
                  taylorsharpe

It's hard to compare FileMaker because it doesn't neatly fit in with many other software tools and it usually is equivalent to a combination of other tools, which makes it great for rapid application development.  But as us developers all know, FileMaker has limitations particularly on the amount of concurrent transactions.  Maybe someday it will be stronger there.  FileMaker has its sweet spot where it does well, but it also isn't a tool for everything and I think that is the point you are making.  On the other side of things, there are many businesses who can significantly benefit with FileMakers rapid development speeds that don't need a large number of simultaneous users.