2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2017 8:43 PM by nunz

Faculty teaching schedules in layers

nunz

Imagine a table with 10 rows and 6 columns.

The first column has time rows from 8-8:50am, 9-9:50am, etc. whereas the next five columns represent Monday, Tuesday, .., Friday.

Thirty faculty members will indicate when they are teaching by putting, say, "teaching" in a slot in the table. For example, if someone teaches at MWF at 10am, he would populate three slots in the table with "teaching" written in.

So, there are now 30 records in which each record consists of the table with some slots with "teaching" written in them.

Think of records as layers in Adobe Illustrator. When 19 records are selected, is there a way to overlay one record on top of the other in a see-through way so that FileMaker shows a table with "teaching" in various slots of layers that tells me when at least one of them is teaching?

The purpose is to generate a table when a chosen set of records have some empty slots in every record. Such slots would represents when the chosen set of faculty can meet with unanimous availability.

Is this possible to do in FileMaker?

• 1. Re: Faculty teaching schedules in layers
          philmodjunk

Layers are not possible but you do not need them for this project. You can set up a table where each record represents a specific class period for a specific date for a specific teacher's class. Data from such a table can be displayed in the rows and columns you describe using a number of methods that you can find here in the forum to produce a cross tab report.

There are then several ways to display a merged view of this data to get one row for each hour with cells "colored in" for any hour/day where at least one class is being taught. One method uses subsummary parts other methods use relationships and calculations.

• 2. Re: Faculty teaching schedules in layers
            nunz

Thanks for your idea. I knew there had to be a method that accomplishes the same goal. Let me work on it and I would like to get back to you if I have questions.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post!!