7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 3:31 PM by erolst

How do I set a Master Record FM Pro 14

CDuarte

Good evening FMC,

Thank you all for you assistance, I do have a quick question.

Q: How do I set my record as the "Master" record in FM Pro 14?

Have a good evening,

• 1. Re: How do I set a Master Record FM Pro 14
          BruceRobertson

What are you talking about?

What is a "master record"?

• 2. Re: How do I set a Master Record FM Pro 14
            MacDevGuy

CDuarte are you wanting to enter default values when a new record is created? Or do you mean like how Apple Contacts has a record for the person who owns the computer and it gets set as your card?

• 3. Re: How do I set a Master Record FM Pro 14
              CDuarte

Good afternoon all,

Thank you for the reply, I consider the master record as the 'default' record. For example, if I am printing an envelope, the program automatically fills in the "Return" section of the envelope with the return address of the 'default' or 'master record'.

• 4. Re: How do I set a Master Record FM Pro 14
                CDuarte

Good afternoon,

Thank you for the reply, I consider the master record as the 'default' record. For example, if I am printing an envelope, the program automatically fills in the "Return" section of the envelope with the return address of the 'default' or 'master record'.

FM may not work that way...I was just curious.

• 5. Re: How do I set a Master Record FM Pro 14
                  MacDevGuy

Ok, I get it. In the case of a layout that had a return address (yours for example), You would merely create a text field and place it in the upper left corner of the layout where the return address goes.

In the center where the recipients name would be. You would likely be using what's called a merge field.
                  It would look like this:
                  <<name>>
                  <<address>>
                  <city>>, <<state>>, <<zip>>

• 6. Re: How do I set a Master Record FM Pro 14
                    BruceRobertson

FileMaker works the way you design it to work.

You have not explained what a "Master Record" is.

You have explained what one small detail is; a business return address; and we can start with that.

But there are still some issues that need to be clarified.

For instance; in this case of a default return address; do you want this value to ALWAYS be the case?

Or do you want it to be something the user can override?

If you want certain features of your file to use default values, then you define those default values.

Also note that a "record" in FileMaker has a particular meaning. A record exists within a table.

And your solution could conceivably have many tables. Clients; Orders; Products; Product Prices; etc.

What is a "Master Record" now? Which table are you referring to?

If you have default values for certain specific chunks of information, it is common to create a single-record Preferences table for this purpose.

Then, in this table, define specific fields in that record. Maybe: Business Name; Return Mailing Address; Fax Number; Phone Number; Business Web site URL; Default Tax Rate; etc.

Then, there are various ways to USE these default values. Again, considering whether you want them to appear strictly as defined; or whether you want to allow the user a way to override them. If you're going to allow override, that will probably be OK for some values; but not your intention for other values.

• 7. Re: How do I set a Master Record FM Pro 14
                      erolst

BruceRobertson wrote:

Then, there are various ways to USE these default values. Again, considering whether you want them to appear strictly as defined; or whether you want to allow the user a way to override them. If you're going to allow override, that will probably be OK for some values; but not your intention for other values.

... and/or "capture" those default values at a certain spot in time - which means copying them - or always use whatever the current defaults are - which means referencing them and may be more convenient to implement, but would falsify historical records, should you ever need to display / put them out again.

Think of taxes, product prices, addresses - things that can/will change over time. You would want invoices from 10 years ago to look today just like they did then**, even though one or all of those components may have changed. So copy the address and the VAT rate into the invoice record, and the product prices into the line items.

**Not to mention your revenue and profit figures ...

1 of 1 people found this helpful