ericjlindholm

Entity Graph theory help/opinions

Discussion created by ericjlindholm on Jan 16, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 by philmodjunk

syncing with my accounting software requires separate tables for customers and vendors. 

I am modifying my existing DB to reduce double data entry.

in my industry, there is a lot of mixing of customers, vendors, who are either contacts or companies.  I have 2 options that I have some with to convert to that will allow the flexibility I need but I cannot decide on which I prefer.  right now I have a contacts and companies table.  I would make one to one relationships to create a customer and/or vendor record from a contact or company.  I would have to maintain customer and vendor data on the contacts and company layouts separately. 

on the other hand, contacts and companies are both entities that I do business with and there is no reason I cannot relate them to other records in the same table.  In fact, it would allow more flexible relationships. for example this company is the rep firm for this manufacturer. I know I could achieve this in the 2 table method as well but it would be more complicated interface IMO.  But all customer and vendor data would be displayed in a single layout.

I have inserted sample graph images of how I would work my 2 options.  Thanks in advance for your input!

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 8.15.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-16 at 8.15.51 PM.png

Outcomes