AnsweredAssumed Answered

Should I use Individual Tables or Table Ocurrences to Clients and Suppliers, whom are both "Companies"?

Question asked by user28177 on Jan 16, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 28, 2017 by user28177

Hello,

My name is Paulo, and I work for a Video and Film Post-Production company.

I'm working on a FileMaker solution that will help us better visualize our business.

Our Main table is the JOBS table.

Here we have two different kinds of Jobs: Advertising and Entertainment. They are both very similar, but there are a couple of fields that are different, for example, an Advertising Job needs an advertising agency and a creative diretor. So instead of creating two tables, one for JOBS_Advertising and another for JOBS_Entertainment, I've added all necessary fields in a single JOB table, and then created two different JOBS layouts to reflect the specific fields of each Job Kind (Advertising or Entertainment).

First question: Is this the best approach, or I should've create TWO jobs table (one for advertising and another for entertainment)?

Next:

JOBS are basically two kinds:

- Advertising

- Entertainment

If the Job is an Advertising Job, it needs a client and an ad agency linked to it.

If the Job is an Entertainment Job, it needs either a production company and distribution company (if it's a feature film), or a production company and network (if it's a TV Show).

Advertising Agencies, Advertising Clients, Production Companies, Networks and distribution companies are in the end all COMPANIES and share most if not all fields of a COMPANY Table.

Should they share the same table and be connected via different Table Occurrences or should they belong to different tables?

(In the attached image, I've started connecting them as separeted Tables, but then I started to question myself, since I'll have to add two extra tables, one for networks and another for distribution companies.)

Final question:

I want to create a CONTACTS table.

A CONTACT can be a either a COMPANY or a PERSON.

Each COMPANY can be the following:

• ADVERTISING AGENCIES: We're usually hired by advertising agencies, who are hired by advertising clients (those that own the brands that will be advertised).
  • ADVERTISING CLIENTS: AD clients are the ones who owned the brands and hired advertising agency. Apple, Unilever or McDonalds can't be considered advertising clients. (Ex. Citibank, Apple, Unilever, McDonald's, etc.)
  • ENTERTAINMENT CLIENTS: These clients are usually production companies. They are the ones that usually hire us for entertainment work.
  • DISTRIBUITION COMPANIES: They are the ones that sell a feature film to a cinema. Ex. Warner Bros. Universal Studios, etc.
  • NETWORKS: TV Shows are broadcasted or streamed. Ex. Netflix, HBO, etc.
  • SUPPLIERS: Any company that sell us gear.

In Advertising: Every JOB must have a AD CLIENT and a AD AGENCYIn Entertainment: IF the JOB is a feature film, it must have a production company AND a distribution company. IF the job is a TV Show, it must have a production company AND a network.

The reason I'm breaking this down is because I believe it directly interfere in the way the relationships have to be connected.

PERSON:

• any contact that is worth keeping
  • An employee (or former) (has to be linked with an HR table, in the future!!)
  • A person that is a contact at a company (advertising agencies, advertising clients, entertainment clients, distribution companies, etc)
  • A person that is a contact at a supplier

Please note that a PERSON record does not necessarily has to be connected to a COMPANY record.

Please note that a PERSON who is an employee needs to be linked to the HR table so it must have an Employee ID.

The reason I'm breaking this down is because I believe it directly interfere in the way the relationships have to be connected.

So, in sum, here's what I need to know:

What's the best way of connecting these relationships?

Thank you!!

Best,

Paulo

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 4.27.47 PM.png

Outcomes