6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 12:16 PM by JustinHesser

Agenda Borders

JustinHesser

I am trying to create an agenda in Filemaker to be able to print using preview mode. All of the agenda items are displayed in the body section of a list view layout. I have unchecked "Delineate fields on current record only" and then in sliding & visibility each field in the body has "Sliding up based upon: All objects above" and "Also resize enclosing part" checked in order to shrink the rows to only the height of the largest field in the row.

This has created an agenda that is close to what I am looking for, but still has two problems which are highlighted below:

2017-01-16_151052.png

So, my questions are:

1. How do I continue to show a border for a field that has no data in it?

2. If one of the fields in a row is taller than the other fields, how do I make the other fields in that row have borders that are the same height?

• 1. Re: Agenda Borders
          Johan Hedman

If you do not have any data you can always enter a "space" and the border will appear.

You can not automatically handle text to auto size up if one of the records have more data. Better then to have a font that is same size for all characters and only show say max 30 first characters with Left( Field ; 30 ) function

• 2. Re: Agenda Borders
            JustinHesser

Thanks Johan, the "space" suggestion works.

As for the auto-sizing the borders, my goal is to make all of the fields in the row as tall as the tallest field. Is there a way to determine the height of a field in a layout through a calculation? Or, maybe, to determine how many rows of text a field takes up in a layout.

• 3. Re: Agenda Borders
              Johan Hedman

For that you need a font like Courier where every character have the same size and height

• 4. Re: Agenda Borders
                Johan Hedman

Please set answer as helpful or correct answer so that other users with same problem easily can find the answer

• 5. Re: Agenda Borders
                  Pragmystic

Justin, the solution is not to use field borders.

1. Set all your fields to the same height in the body. still resizing to enclosing parts.

2. Use vertical lines that are slightly longer than the height of your body running into the next part (footer etc.)

3. Make the lines to also be resizing

Then you are effectively creating a box around each field by using lines. Because the lines extend to the next section, each record will have the lines connected to each other.

fo horizontal lines, define the upper and lower borders of the Body.

It is a little tricky, so you need to play with it until it comes out the way you want it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Agenda Borders
                    JustinHesser

Thanks Pragmystic, that worked!