greglane

FileMaker Cloud Get(HostName) evaluation and domain name issues

Discussion created by greglane on Jan 17, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 by TSGal

Hello,

I'm testing a FileMaker Cloud instance with a custom domain name and SSL cert. For the most part, it is working well. However, I ran into a couple of things that seem unexpected.

Here are the basic steps I followed:

1. Created FileMaker Cloud trial (Version 1.15.0.194).
  2. Configured the host name as skgregtest###.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com.
  3. Created a CNAME alias like gregtest.mycustomdomain####.com which points to skgregtest###.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com.
  4. Purchased a wildcard cert for mycustomdomain####.com.
  5. Imported the cert into FileMaker Cloud and entered "gregtest###" when FileMaker Cloud prompted for a new host name.
  6. Restarted the instance when prompted.
  7. Waited for the "Custom certificate import" email, which is included below.

The email indicates that the FQDN for the instance is fc-9tiy8v-20170106-######.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com. I know that this name can be found in the link provided in the "Welcome to FileMaker Cloud" email, but I'm wondering if it exists anywhere else that I can reference so that I can create the CNAME record before receiving the "Custom certificate import" email? Also, I note that both this name and the more visible skgregtest###.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com name have A records (see below). Will the skgregtest###.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com name continue to exist indefinitely and is it OK to use it for the target of the CNAME record rather than the more obscure name?

The other unexpected behavior (bug?) is that when I open a database hosted on this instance with FileMaker Pro, the window title shows "DatabaseName (skgregtest###)" and Get(HostName) returns "skgregtest###". However, in the FileMaker Cloud console, the Host Name is shown as "gregtest.mycustomdomain####.com". It doesn't make sense that FMP is using the original host name. Is it possible to change the host name for the FileMaker Cloud instance, or at least get it to match what is shown in the console?

Thanks,

Greg

Hello,

You have imported a custom certificate, which caused the host name to change to gregtest.mycustomdomain####.com. In addition, the FileMaker Cloud instance IP address may have changed. The IP address is 52.90.124.###.

Check the Domain Name Service (DNS) entry with your Domain Name Registrar, Internet Service Provider (ISP), or other DNS provider. Verify that the Canonical Name (CNAME) record matches the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for your FileMaker Cloud instance: fc-9tiy8v-20170106-######.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com

Regards,

FileMaker, Inc.

$ dig skgregtest###.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;skgregtest###.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

skgregtest###.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com. 60 IN A 52.90.124.###

$ dig fc-9tiy8v-20170106-######.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;fc-9tiy8v-20170106-######.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

fc-9tiy8v-20170106-######.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com. 60 IN A 52.90.124.###