4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 1:52 PM by jfreeman

.htaccess and FMP server 14 on windows 2012

jfreeman

Greetings all,

I would very much like to setup .htaccess security in front of my FMPro webdirect databases.  Unfortunately, due to a variety of things, our chromebook users are not able to connect to our VPN.  Therefore, I plan to punch a hole in our firewall and make our FMPro web sever running on windows available 'publicly'.  Therefore, I'd like to put .htaccess security in front of that. 

Is the 'how' to for this documented anywhere?

TIA,

Joshua

• 1. Re: .htaccess and FMP server 14 on windows 2012
          mikebeargie
          Therefore, I'd like to put .htaccess security in front of that.

htaccess really doesn't have anything to do with it.

You need to:

1) Get a static IP setup from your ISP that will point to your network.

2) Route port 80 and 443 traffic from your router to your server.

3) Install an SSL certificate on your FileMaker Server

a) Creating a new custom SSL certificate for FileMaker Server | FileMaker

Once you get that WAN access setup so that your filemaker server is answering to the outside world, then you should just be able to type in:

https://YOURIPADDRESS/fmi/webd

and get the webdirect login page from anywhere outside of the network.

Filemaker server manages it's own .htaccess files and they really shouldn't be casually fiddled with.

• 2. Re: .htaccess and FMP server 14 on windows 2012
            jfreeman

Thanks Mike,

Very helpful.  I have 1 static IP address pointing to my firewall. I create Static NATs so that FQDNs  that have 'A' records at my registrar find their way to the correct box internally when they traverse the firewall from our one external IP address.

I'm a little concerned about the SSL cert. .I hope I can use a self-signed one..

Cheers,

J.

• 3. Re: .htaccess and FMP server 14 on windows 2012
              mikebeargie

Self-signed certificates or not installing a valid certificate could result in your users receiving SSL errors in their browser. It should be something that they can override, but doesn’t offer the true security of a valid SSL.

• 4. Re: .htaccess and FMP server 14 on windows 2012
                jfreeman

I do not have budget to buy a cert from a third party CA.  My users are used to self-signed certs on some internal services.  I have my FQDN all set, my DNS all set and my SNAT on the firewall all set. I have generated serverKey.pem and ServerRequest.pem files from FMPro server.  I'm at a standstill w/r/t creating and the cert to upload.

Any directions appreciated.

best wishes,

Joshua