4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 6:58 AM by vm1

Autocreate Record into another layout

vm1

Hi everybody!

I'm creating an artwork inventory and have created a main layout for all artworks and a separate layout for any artworks with editions. My aim is to have all information common to all of the works in an editions to be entered one time into the "editions" record but when adding individual works from the edition, I need all the information to be copied into the "main inventory" record. My question is how can I automatically create an individual editions record into the main inventory simultaneously? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

Vinaya

• 1. Re: Autocreate Record into another layout
          philmodjunk

It doesn't really make sense.

I get the idea that you want a "parent record (edition)" where you record data common to all editions of that artwork.

But you would not normally copy that info into each artwork record unless the data might be different in one edition of the same artwork when compared to the record for a different edition. You'd just keep that data in the parent record where a relationship will make it accessible to all editions of a given artwork.

And you normally do not need to automatically create related records though such can be scripted if you insist. Normally you just create related records in a child table on an "as needed" basis.

• 2. Re: Autocreate Record into another layout
            vm1

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply!

I think I understand what you are saying however in this case the data can be different in one edition of the same artwork when compared to another record for another edition of the same artwork. i.e. I might have two photographs that share all the same data however they are printed in different sizes. Therefore I need to manage them both as individual works within an edition. I can keep the data in the parent record and create a relationship to artworks within the "edition" layout. That should be ok.

But to further elaborate, I was wanting to automatically create related records (instead of creating related records in a child table on an as needed basis) because if an artwork was an edition of say 100 then it would be a lot more time efficient to have the record automatically created in the 'parent' record simultaneously when entering data in the 'child' record.

So ideally, I am wanting to enter data for an edition one time into an "edition/child layout" and have all of the information entered in that Edition record copied into each "main inventory/parent" record as the works are added.

I hope this further clarifies

• 3. Re: Autocreate Record into another layout
              philmodjunk

So ideally, I am wanting to enter data for an edition one time into an "edition/child layout" and have all of the information entered in that Edition record copied into each "main inventory/parent" record as the works are added.

That further confuses.

What I think you are describing is this:

Editions----<Artworks

Editions::__pkEditionID = Artworks::_fkEditionID

There would be many artworks to a given Editions table. But the names seem backwards as I'd think in terms of one artwork with many editions. So--even thought the above matches your original description, I'm assuming that what you really have is:

Artworks----<Editions

Artworks::__pkArtworkID = Editions::_fkArtworkID

__pkArtworkID auto enters a serial number or get ( UUID ) and "Create" would be enabled for Editions in the above relationship. There would be one Artwork with many editions of that artwork.

1. Any information that will always be the same for every edition of a given artwork would be recorded in fields of the Artworks table.
              2. Any information specific to a given edition of that artwork would be entered into fields of the Editions table.
              3. Any information that is often the same but may be different in a given edition can be entered into fields of Artworks, but auto-enter options on corresponding fields in Editions can "look up" this information.

A single layout based on Editions can be used to create both the Artwork parent record and also the first Editions record, but this makes handling any looked up (item 3 above) a bit problematic as you'd need to script copying the data from one set of fields to another in these original two records. A simpler option if you need fields set as described in 3 above is to base your layout on Artworks and include a portal to editions. Then, you'd simply fill in the fields of the new artworks fields first and use the portal to create the first editions record. The act of creating the first editions record should automatically copy over any fields set up in editions to look up data.

• 4. Re: Autocreate Record into another layout
                vm1

ok, thanks for your help.

I'll try for a simpler solution and create a portal to editions.

Thanks again