8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2017 1:42 PM by Benjamin Fehr

Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!

mrwatson-gbs

Issue

In FM 13/14 FMI extended the Import Record script step to not only remember the import order of target fields, but also the ids of the source fields. This was to make it possible to delete fields in the source table, without breaking import scripts - <Missing Field> appears in the import dialog.

In FM15 (15.0.2.220) the Profile Info is missing  , which means

• deleting fields breaks import scripts,
      • as does copying + pasting an Import Records script step.

Steps to Reproduce

See attached files, or:

1. Create a file with two tables each with three fields
      2. Create script to import one table into the other (using a reference to 'self' in the import path)
      3. Save script
      4. Delete field two in the source table and look at the import field mapping (result1)
      5. Copy the script step and look at the fmxmlsnippet (result2)

Expected result1 (as in fm14)

<Field Missing> appears

The fields remain correctly aligned

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 18.07.50.png

Actual result1 (fm15)

No <Missing Field> appears.

The fields on the left shift up to fill the gap (Note: In this file I used different field names )

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 18.08.53.png

----

Looking at the clipboard XML of the Import commands

Expected result2 (as in fm14)

<Profile> contains <InputFields>:

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 18.06.09.png

Actual result2 (fm15)

<Profile> is empty:

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 18.06.48.png

Don't have v1 (any more) nor v3 (yet) to test.

• 1. Re: Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!
          TSGal

mrwatson-gbs:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using your files with FileMaker Pro 14.0.6 and FileMaker Pro 15.0.2.  I never receive the <Field Missing> option in the Import Dialog.

In the second file, the order is incorrect.  I added back the Num field, set the Import order, ran the script to make sure it worked, and then deleted the source Num field again.  Running the script again matches the Txt and Date fields appropriately.

Creating a new file in FileMaker Pro 14.0.6 and FileMaker Pro 15.0.2 worked similarly.

Let me know if you have better steps to execute so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!
            mrwatson-gbs

In fm14:

1. Create file 'Test'

2. Create table ’S’

3. Create fields a,b and c

4. Create table ‘D’ with fields d, e and f

5. Create script ‘imp'

6. Create step Import Records

7. Set file path to file:Test

8. Set source table to TO ’S’

9. Set target table to TO ‘D’

10. Set import order a->d, b->e and c->e

11. OK and Save script

12. Delete field b

13. Check the import mapping again.

14. You should see  where field b used to be.

• 3. Re: Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!
              mrwatson-gbs

Small correction in my instructions: the file path must be file:Test.fmp12

otherwise this is the result you get:

• 4. Re: Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!
                TSGal

mrwatson-gbs:

Thank you for the sample file.

I now see the issue.  Like you, once I save the custom order and get the import error warning, the correct fields are still mapped.

I have sent your test file to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!
                  TSGal

mrwatson-gbs:

Testing has confirmed the issue.  All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!
                    mrwatson-gbs

Hallo TSGal,

I would like to bump this issue and underline the importance of this 'lost' feature.

1. Rock solid data quality

Import Records is used substantially within our solution (and other solutions) to move data around in the database. It is used all over the place to duplicate and convert documents and line items: from products to product-variations to quotes to offers to delivery notes to invoices to payment reminders to accounting to payment to statistics, etc., etc.

Such core business data may typically pass though around 10-15 import processes in its lifecycle, as it passes through the various tables of the database.

These import processes need to be rock solid!…

…even in an environment where data requirements are constantly in development, meeting the needs of a changing society and growing customer needs. Fields come and go - they come not infrequently and occasionally also need to go!

The import processes need to be able to withstand the tide of change!

Rock solid data quality can only be guaranteed, when the Import Records script step maintains a list of the SOURCE field ids. This protects the import process from nasty side-effects when creating and deleting fields.

2. Maintainability

WITHOUT the vital information about the source fields, import processes are very susceptible to even the tiniest changes in the database design (e.g. adding a field).

Should a developer create or edit an Import Script step using FM 15 it BREAKS the step, losing the vital source field references, leaving the import process open to the woes of change.

This makes db-maintenance very labour intensive, requiring us to check import processes after every created field.

3. Support for fileMaker 14

Until this bug is fixed we are forced to use FileMaker 14 to fix and edit our import processes.

It is also the case, that we shall need to install FileMaker 14 on customer servers to fix & maintain the import processes there - a very irritating requirement.

Similarly, until this bug is fixed FMI will need to maintain support for FileMaker 14!

I understand from the FM Roadmap that the Import process is due to be revamped in "FM Beyond", maybe FM17, ... but I would beg you to consider fixing the problem in an fm15 rev, and for sure in fm16 … because waiting till fm17 is far too long to have fm14 in active use.

Thanking you

MrWatson

FBA Platinum Partner

Günther Business Solutions GmbH

• 7. Re: Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!
                      TSGal

mrwatson-gbs:

I have attached your entire post to the original report.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Import Record missing its Profile Element in FM15 - <Field Missing> missing!
                        Benjamin Fehr

I had similar issues with 2 customers. I was about to build a example file to send to you but then wasn't able to replicate the issue again.

What I do:

I've duplicated the data-file USRD.BZZ and named it USRD2.BZZ, then started a script to import all records from USRD2.BZZ into USRD.BZZ.

After import-script completed, two Relationship arguments altered:

should be:

RECHNUNGEN           RE_Partner

EAN_Nr               =       f_EAN

AND   discipline            =       Discipline

was:

RECHNUNGEN            RE_Partner

Print_Kto_Nr         =     f_EAN

AND  ??                          =     Discipline

as a consequence, a script with 'set Fields' function broke.

I had to install a FMPro Demoversion to fix those customers Runtime.