1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 10:18 AM by philmodjunk

What is the best way to create a document approval workflow?

dvblystone

I have developed a form based on a time sheet that my organization uses to track time and paid time off. I need to have the user open the form and enter their times. At this point, their supervisor will be alerted for their approval. The next step is to have the data sent to the business office for processing. I also need a mechanism to alert the user if their time sheet has any rejections or exceptions. Is there a trick in scripting or any external apps that I should look at? I am running a MacMini as my server and the users will be accessing the data via web.

• 1. Re: What is the best way to create a document approval workflow?
          philmodjunk

You can do all of this in Filemaker if you host a solution so that everyone has access to it.

You need to work out a basic data model with tables and relationships before you worry about "tricks".

Notifications can be sent out via email or as messages that pop up in FileMaker at the time that a user logs in. I've set that kind of system both ways. The advantage to "inside FileMaker" notifications is that it's very easy to provide a button to click that takes the user to the correct layout and document to view the information about which they are receiving a notification. The disadvantage is that they have to open FileMaker before they see the notification.