2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2017 6:48 AM by scottworld

Check for updates results in nothing?

scottworld

Hello,

This is not a huge problem at all, but I am having users report that when they pull down from the "Help" menu to "Check For Updates", it doesn't show them ANYTHING at all. It doesn't even tell them that they are currently up-to-date... it just does absolutely nothing.

These users are all running:

- Mac OS X 10.11.6

- FileMaker Pro 15.0.2.

- It doesn't make a difference whether they are actively connected to a hosted FileMaker system, or if they have no windows open at all.

- Quitting and relaunching FileMaker doesn't fix the issue.

- Restarting the Mac doesn't fix the issue.

- In their FileMaker preferences, the checkbox is checked for "Notify me when an update is available".

This really isn't a major issue, because we just downloaded the full FMP 15.0.3 installer, and we could install FMP 15.0.3 that way.

Thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: Check for updates results in nothing?
          TSGal

scottworld:

Thank you for your post.

From your description, I'm assuming "Check for Updates" is not grayed out as they are able to select it.

When "Check for Updates" is selected, a https:  command is sent out, so is it possible the clients are behind a firewall of some sort?  This would account for nothing happening.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Check for updates results in nothing?
            scottworld

Right, "Check For Updates" is not grayed out.

But I probably wouldn't worry about this issue too much -- I only have one client who is reporting these problems. They have over 100 FileMaker users in their office, but this client always has tons of networking problems on their network, so I would assume it has something to do with their network.

However, one thing that is interesting to note is that this client believes that this problem has something to do with FileMaker Pro's preference entitled "Notify me when an update is available". They state that when this checkbox is unchecked, pulling down from the "Help" menu to "Check For Updates" doesn't work. But when that checkbox IS checked, then pulling down from the "Help" menu to "Check For Updates" DOES work.

Who knows. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's probably some networking issue on their end.