3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 11:52 AM by JVillalobos

Web Publishing Engine Failure

vickynesbitt84

Hi All

We have several identical spec servers running identical FileMaker Server 14 installations with XML & PHP running on the Web Publishing engine. The servers are running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard & FMS is up to date - 14.04.

On one of the servers the web publishing engine has just stopped working... There's nothing to indicate anything amiss in the logs whatsoever.

If I try to redeploy the server and everything is fine except for the following lines logs:

UNDO EXISTING DEPLOYMENT

Stop WPE                                                    Error: 10007 (Requested object does not exist)

START DEPLOYMENT

Stop WPE                                                    Error: 10007 (Requested object does not exist)

Start WPE                                                    Error: 10006 (Service already running)

Create Application Request Routing rule for Web Publishing   message:New rule object missing required attributes. Cannot add duplicate collection entry of type 'rule' with unique key attribute 'name' set to 'BlockConf', , .

Add X-Forwarded-Host header                                  message:New add object missing required attributes. Cannot add duplicate collection entry of type 'add' with unique key attribute 'name' set to 'HTTP_X_FORWARDED_HOST', , .

This in fact the second time this has happened.. Last time the only way I managed to resolve the issue was by re-installing FileMaker Server, which I am loathe to do again without really understanding what the problem is and how to solve it going forward... Previously I restarted the machine and also tried restarting most of the elements from the command line to no avail.

One of the other symptoms we have is that there are a load of ghost XML clients logged into one of the databases - there seems to be no way of getting rid of these save restarting the server, but that doesn't fix the issues with the web publishing engine running...

Any ideas?

Kind Regards

Vicky Nesbitt

• 1. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failure
          JVillalobos

There are many reasons the WPE will stop, crash, and cannot be fixed without a restart.  Using the Terminal sometimes works but it depends how bad the crash is.  Typically why it you can't restart it is because the WPE suffered a memory leak.  The WPE engine went from using 300 MB to gobbling up 2GB of RAM.  This can occur because of the XML or PHP code that is being used on this server.

There is no 1 possible answer to your question - it depends what you are doing with the Server.   Are you running a Web Service using XML ?  Are you running some PHP queries ? 

I have a lot of experience fixing these types of issues if it's XML or PHP queries.

• 2. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failure
            vickynesbitt84

Hi JVillalobos

Thanks for your response.

I have managed to solve the immediate problem without restarting or re-installing!!!

I went into TaskManager and there were 12 processes running for the FileMaker Web Publishing Engine (fmscwpe.exe), I ended all the tasks and then started WPE from the command line and everything started working again!

However we still don't know what specifically the route cause of the issue is, however we suspect it is to do with the XML (we have both XML & PHP) running on the server - we only ever had the ghost xml users, never php.

So until we figure out how to prevent this happening we have switched of the XML stuff and replaced with another process. I have no idea how we can go about debugging the xml though to figure out the route cause and then resolve it... If you have any suggestions I would be grateful!!!

Kind Regards

Vicky Nesbitt

• 3. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failure
              JVillalobos

Hi Vicky,

Glad to hear you got it working again and it’s unlikely a ghost XML or PHP query is causing this issue.  It’s very difficult to

give you any kind of guidance without knowing what you are running on that server.  While XML, PHP, and WebDirect are technically

different engines they share some common components in the WPE.

Killing the processes and restarting has worked most of the times because you release the memory for that App and restart it.  It doesn’t

mean it will not happen again.  That is the frustrating part and FileMaker Tech support is usually a waste of time in these cases.

What are you doing with the this server, be specific, hardware/software configs, databases, size of databases, Operating System, memory, etc.

and if this is a critical problem I can come in and consult for you to do more forensics.

While the forum might be good for a common problem most of the times these are unique issues due to the unique setup you have there.

Thank you.

Regards,

Javier Villalobos