4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 5:43 AM by AitchB

Portal trouble - cant get it to work!

AitchB

Thank you all for the help so far.

I have created a booking and cash movements (Debits and Credits) database. and cannot get the portal working. I've looked a several great videos but I suspect it is the relationships. EDIT: No matter what the relationship joins are between Daybook2 and Booking2 Daybook is NOT related when I go to choose fields.

I have the following tables - see attached image:

Daybook (Entry of data)

Cashbook (listing of data - using « find » to separate the various accounts for the moment)

Suppliers (linked to Daybook and Cashbook)

Banks (linked to Daybook and Cashbook)

Then:

Clients (A client may have several bookings - repeats)

Agencies (The Agency that found the client)

Booking (Reservation details for a client. Date of arrival is a unique date)

I want to place in a portal on the «Booking » table, details of payments from the « Daybook » table, by that client for that booking,

I need a Portal on the « Booking » table showing:

date_paid (= date_bank from Daybook table)

amount_paid (= amount_credit from Daybook table) There will be a maximum of 3 payments.

Balance due = summary calculation of total due (from Booking table) - total of amount_paid (total of amount_paid = summary calculation total of      amount_paid).

The only unique field for a Booking is the date or arrival (date_arrive) or the id_booking.

Here is the relationship table. For my own clarity I have made Daybook 2 Booking 2 and Client 2 and have removed the relationships .

HenryScreen Shot 2017-01-21 at 12.56.41.png

• 1. Re: Portal trouble - cant get it to work!
          siplus

I want a portal, I need a portal  <-- quoting you.

This means that you are already sure about your data structure and the way transactions should behave.

You don't explain what the data flow is and what it should be - you force readers to stress themselves to escape from the cage you've built around yourself.

Bad approach, IMHO.

Explain what you want, not what it should be.

• 2. Re: Portal trouble - cant get it to work!
            philmodjunk

"No matter what the relationship joins are between Daybook2 and Booking2 Daybook is NOT related when I go to choose fields."

That would be the expected result. Linking the Daybook2 table occurrence to another table occurrence in a relationship does NOT link daybook in a relationship.

• 3. Re: Portal trouble - cant get it to work!
              AitchB

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 18.16.13.png

OK I'll try and put the question another way. BTW I used this data structure because that's how I do it with Numbers (Excel to the Windows people).

I have these two sets of tables. I would like to use two fields from the Daybook (bank_date and amount_credit) for the client's payment and show them in a portal on a layout based on the Booking table as the attached image shows.

The common field is date_arrive, which is unique. (One client may be repeat bookings. only one client can arrive on a certain day. )

Can you tell me what the relationship between Daybook and Booking, be?

Thanks,

Henry

• 4. Re: Portal trouble - cant get it to work!
                AitchB

I got it all to work.

I hope no-one found this stressful.