8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 11:17 AM by joelaw

Way to save using windows "save as" function?

joelaw

I want to save my files and data using the windows "save as" function.  Is there a way to get the windows tree or browse to be able to pick where the files are to be stored.  Saving to a pre-defined folder and name is OK sometimes but other times I want to change to another location without having to save to somewhere and then find that location and copy files to somewhere else.

Is there a way to open the windows "file" > "save as" and then choose the filename and location?

Using FM15 pro

Thanks,

Joe

• 1. Re: Way to save using windows "save as" function?
          philmodjunk

When saving as PDF, you can choose to show a dialog where the user can select both the name to use and the location to where they wan't to save it.

I am not sure that's what you have in mind when you want to do when you say:

save my files and data using the windows "save as" function.

As that could encompass more than saving as a PDF...

• 2. Re: Way to save using windows "save as" function?
            joelaw

AH my old friend Phil,

I want to save my program (fmp12) and data (.xlsx) files to a different choice determined when saved like using the windows "file > save as" selection like all other windows programs.

The church system is in use and working great except for this.  I pre-coded the folder to save to but I also want to save to a USB drive and maybe Dropbox locations.  It works at church like expected but doesn't like the file locations at home where I program.  Also we have had problems with other people using this computer and am afraid that some one will crash my computer and I will loose code so I like to take a copy home with me.  I don't always want to do this but sometimes.

Joe

• 3. Re: Way to save using windows "save as" function?
              philmodjunk

I'm not sure that I see the problem that you see.

The Save As options from the File Menu all allow the user to pick both file name and location. So where does this fail for you?

And what version of FileMaker do you use currently?

• 4. Re: Way to save using windows "save as" function?
                rouelf

Don’t Understand your situation. Under File Menu, there should be a “Save A Copy As…” option. It should do exactly what you are wanting to do. Unless you have a custom menu without that option. !!

Are you trying to do the using a script ?

• 5. Re: Way to save using windows "save as" function?
                  joelaw

I am trying to use a script to backup.  The file > save a copy as is fine but I wanted it to be a button.  I wanted the file name to include the date and time.  Maybe I am asking too much.  I am using FileMaker 15 Pro.

Joe

• 6. Re: Way to save using windows "save as" function?
                    philmodjunk

And why do you need to have the user select the location?

A simple option is to save the files to the desktop or to documents--standard locations that exist on every computer and which special get functions can be used in order for the script to calculate a valid file path no matter which computer. The user can then drag the file to the icon for a USB drive if needed.

You can also present the user with a standard list of options--where the USB drive is a possible location by setting up a value list on a field. The script then uses the option selected by the user in order to produce the needed file path to use when saving a copy of the file, saving as Excel or when using export records to export data as csv or other format. (I'd export to Merge if making a data only export of the data as that includes the field names as row 1.)

But since you are using FileMaker 15, you have an even better option introduced in FMP 14:

Use Get Directory to ask the user to select a folder and the file path to that folder is set to a variable you specify. You can then use that file path to the folder plus a file name that you specify in the script when using one of these options to save a file.

• 7. Re: Way to save using windows "save as" function?
                      joelaw

Phil,

I will start testing your suggestions and let you know how it turns out.  I am fairly new to FM and don't always use the correct coding to get to where I want.  I have had to backtrack many times before I get what I want.

I would like to see more example *.fmp12 files to follow.  Many of the solutions are there but I just can't find them online.  Is there a location where example files like the "inventory" or "contact" files can be found.  One lady posted a complete example with many of the techniques that I wanted were used.  I learned quite a lot from these files.

It will take me some time to get setup so be patient.

Joe

• 8. Re: Way to save using windows "save as" function?
                        joelaw

Phil,

Works great.  Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

Joe